AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I really hope this lead to a definitive crack of AACS 2.0 so i can use my htpc/madvr to playback my uhd-bd.
Be careful of what you wish for, if AACS gets hacked then you can bet new releases will require on-line authentication. IOW, new titles would not have a key on the disc and would have to call home to get one. At that point I would stop buying new UHD BD titles.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Be careful of what you wish for, if AACS gets hacked then you can bet new releases will require on-line authentication. IOW, new titles would not have a key on the disc and would have to call home to get one. At that point I would stop buying new UHD BD titles.
I think that scenario is highly unlikely and would kill the 4k BD market.
Can you imagine how many calls/returns Best buy/Walmart etc.. would get saying : '' wtf my disc wont play on my stand-alone uhd player ''.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok so since someone has used imgburn and a normal BDXL drive to copy a UHDBD disc but cannot play the copy with any playback software licensed or unlicensed.

I am wondering could you copy a UHDBD disc with the normal BDXL drive and then play the copied disc on a standalone UHDBD player and store the original away?

·
Banned
186 Posts
Ok so since someone has used imgburn and a normal BDXL drive to copy a UHDBD disc but cannot play the copy with any playback software licensed or unlicensed.

I am wondering could you copy a UHDBD disc with the normal BDXL drive and then play the copied disc on a standalone UHDBD player and store the original away?
nop, not yet.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I think that scenario is highly unlikely and would kill the 4k BD market.
I would wager that most UHD BD players are connected to the internet and most users would not really know their new title was phoning home. You under estimate what the studios will do. Played many Lions Gate rental titles with Atmos or even losses audio in recent months? There are several more inconveniences the studios impose on us and continue to do so in spite of the fact that BD's can be ripped.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Yes they did, their AACS decyption is always done online for unknown discs (this is on purpose, to stop prying eyes), it takes a couple of seconds for it to get the necessary data and decypt, then the known keys are added to the local database in future releases (so no OPD needed)

New releases are required to fix other protections (and a lot of DVD's still) and to add built in local support for new known AACS discs since the last release.
I guess that was my point, arguably it can't be "fully cracked" because it's an ongoing battle that requires constant updates. Not trying to take anything away from the great work of the RedFox folks, but it sounded like Manni's definition of "fully cracked" was that one thing would work for all discs forever, which isn't even the case with AACS 1.0.

I, of course, would be more than happy with an AACS 2.0 solution like we have now for 1.0.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess that was my point, arguably it can't be "fully cracked" because it's an ongoing battle that requires constant updates. Not trying to take anything away from the great work of the RedFox folks, but it sounded like Manni's definition of "fully cracked" was that one thing would work for all discs forever, which isn't even the case with AACS 1.0.
I see your point about "fully cracked" but just the nature of AACS means it's always going to need an update somewhere along the line (new MKB versions) but it's always going to be decypted now and in the future (because it's been cracked :)).

There is nothing that can be done except develop a new version and specifications which isn't cracked - That's why we now see AACS 2.0.

It won't work, just like that wouldn't work with a standard BD either (it would be a pretty useless protection if it did :))

·
Registered
70 Posts
I see your point about "fully cracked" but just the nature of AACS means it's always going to need an update somewhere along the line (new MKB versions) but it's always going to be decypted now and in the future (because it's been cracked :)).

There is nothing that can be done except develop a new version and specifications which isn't cracked - That's why we now see AACS 2.0.

It won't work, just like that wouldn't work with a standard BD either (it would be a pretty useless protection if it did :))
So what about Pavtube claiming their software can rip/copy 4K Blu-ray movies or is that a load of bollocks trying to scam people into it?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
So what about Pavtube claiming their software can rip/copy 4K Blu-ray movies or is that a load of bollocks trying to scam people into it?
Where does it say UHD discs? 4K Blu-ray could mean many things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is exactly what I think. I do not want another level of protection.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Agreed- if discs become mandatory phone home, they will be the logical/functional equivalent of encrypted streaming (Vudu/Amazon Prime/Netflix/etc), so there would be no functional difference, but videophiles would still want the high bitrate video and lossless audio.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Really?

"Consumers snapped up an impressive 1.8 million UHD Blu-ray discs in the United States in 2016, along with 300,000 UHD Blu-ray players, according to data cited by the Blu-ray Disc Association. The disc-to-player attach rate was an impressive 6-to-1, noted the BDA, adding that sales have been three times as fast as the launch of Blu-ray."
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/hi...-sales-2016-nearly-2-million-discs-sold-39404
Blu-ray was competing with HD-DVD when it launched. Wonder what the total HD disc sales were?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Really?

"Consumers snapped up an impressive 1.8 million UHD Blu-ray discs in the United States in 2016, along with 300,000 UHD Blu-ray players, according to data cited by the Blu-ray Disc Association. The disc-to-player attach rate was an impressive 6-to-1, noted the BDA, adding that sales have been three times as fast as the launch of Blu-ray."
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/hi...-sales-2016-nearly-2-million-discs-sold-39404
4% sold.

4% is pretty small margin.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
What's more telling is how UHD's launch compares to previous formats.

According to this, in 2007 (the first full year after Blu-ray launched) it sold 5.7 million units, HD DVD sold 3.2 million that same year. According to the article you linked, they're forecasting 8.4 million UHD Blu-ray's to be sold in 2017 (also the first full year after launch). So it's a bit less than the total of Blu-ray+HD DVD (8.9 million) but it's very close.

I'd hardly say that's "not so great" considering how successful Blu-ray has been, especially when you consider that streaming is a more viable competitor today than it was at Blu-ray's launch.

661 - 680 of 700 Posts