AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been b***hing about the horrible PQ of Universal HD ever since it debued. The picture was so soft that it was hard to believe it wasn't upconverted widescreen SD. I endured the US Open on UHD HD, but only because I'm a tennis nut. Any movement at all resulted in gross macroblocking.

Anyway, I happened to flip by "They Live" the other night and I thought it looked pretty good. Then I saw "The Countess from Hong Kong" the next night and it looked damn good. The final test was the UHD staple "The District" which I watched for a few minutes and it looked way better than it used to. It's like getting a new HD Channel. It seems like UHD has mastered the art of low bitrate HD.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
hopefully they have 'cause BSG is coming on.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
hopefully they have 'cause BSG is coming on.
I missed this. When?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Ok, I don't see anything on the web site except a repeat of the mini-series, I'll have to check my Tivo. Probably covered in other threads, but since I refuse to watch SD, I don't want any spoilers.

Edit, nevermind, found the "spoiler free" thread. Didn't look close enough at the title and assumed it was just another SD thread, since it is starting up on SciFi again soon as well.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts
Assuming members cooperate, there should be no spoilers in that thread I posted above.. Those of us that caught the series on SciFi use a different thread. Season 1 worked out well with the SciFi'ers withholding any info from the UHD'ers.

[EDIT]We are distinguishing the series' by Season "2" (UHD) and Season "2.5" (SciFi).

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky
Has anybody else noticed better PQ on UHD? Do you think D* has bumped up the bitrate?
Where's Cheezmo when you need him? I don't know where they'd find the extra bandwidth. HBO-HD proves you can have decent quality HD with low bitrates, so maybe UHD figured it out as well. Mr. Cuban, are you listening?

EVERYTHING on UHD looks drastically better than it used to.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did anybody catch the "Wicked" special. The interviews looked bad, but the shots of the actual play looked better than anything I've seen before on UHD, and better than most of what passes for HD on D*. Great contrast, sharp picture and minimal macroblocking. It looked so good I want to take the kids to see the roadshow.

"Decoys" (bad but funny) and "Terminal Invasion" (just plain bad) looked good also. If anybody else agrees that UHD has made a complete turnaround in their picture quality, we should contact them and express our appreciation. I complained bitterly about their abysmal PQ several times during their Olympic and US Open coverage, as I'm sure many other AVSers did, so I think it makes sense to let them know we notice when they make improvements.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I wonder if they lowered the resolution so that it would be easier to show at lower bitrates?

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
The bitrate for UHD is up less than 5% from where it was 3 months ago. Quite frankly that would be hard to detect without serious side by side comparison - and considering the self proclaimed turbin wearing expert can be fooled between HD and HDLITE, it's highly unlikely that is the difference - if indeed there is one.

·
Premium Member
35,825 Posts
Watched a bit of Battlestar Galactica yesterday and it doesn't look any better than it did before.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts
I thought Battlestar looked awful (for "HD").

I'll be catching the new episodes fresh in crappy SD rather than wait indefinitely for crappy HD.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I watched the mini series again Saturday night... I have dvd's with better PQ... It looked pretty good on my X1, but on my Hitachi... sheesh... (sound was good though)

·
Premium Member
35,825 Posts
That's what I meant, there has been no improvement over earlier episodes. This could be a spectacular channel, but combine DirecTV's down-rezzed, bit starved delivery with, NBC/Uni's less than desirable delivery method and seemingly lack of interest in the channel, it's pretty much just a waste of bandwidth. This channel is not even listed as one of the '06 Olympic broadcast channels.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
I thought Battlestar looked awful (for "HD").

I'll be catching the new episodes fresh in crappy SD rather than wait indefinitely for crappy HD.
The show is intentionally grainy. It looked just as good as the episodes that aired on NBC.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
That's what I meant, there has been no improvement over earlier episodes. This could be a spectacular channel, but combine DirecTV's down-rezzed, bit starved delivery with, NBC/Uni's less than desirable delivery method and seemingly lack of interest in the channel, it's pretty much just a waste of bandwidth. This channel is not even listed as one of the '06 Olympic broadcast channels.
I agreed that it was a wast of bandwidth in December when 90% of the programming was SVU, Medical Investigation, and the District, but now we have:

New to HD episodes

-------------------------

Battlestar Galactica

Monk

80's hits in HD

-------------------------

Knight Rider

The Equalizer

Quantum Leap

·
Premium Member
35,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV
The show is intentionally grainy. It looked just as good as the episodes that aired on NBC.
That's not saying much... :p

The show is intentionally contrasty and grainy but what I was seeing is the blocking and breakup during fast motion. Same issues that have been seen with low bandwidth/multicasting NBC stations.(e.g. Olympic swimming...)

I agree that there is actually something to watch currently on the channel although it should be like that all the time

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.