Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Sorry if this question has been asked and/or answered before; I've just started hanging around in this particular section of AVS.

I currently get my SD stations via DirecTV and a small cable hookup so I have no need for a traditional outdoor antenna. However, I now have an HDTV Tuner (Panasonic TU-HDS20) and have started playing with the digital broadcasts locally. I get very spotty reception with plain old rabbit ears but am within just a few miles of the towers.

My question is whether I can get a UHF-only antenna and mount it in my attic for the exclusive purpose of getting local HDTV broadcasts? These are obviously considerably smaller than combo yagi units. Will dedicated UHF antenna work for this purpose? Any downsides? A long way off but will broadcasters eventually drop their digital feeds down to the VHF channels?

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
66 Posts
Craig,

UHF only depends on the stations broadcasting in your area. If all the digital stations in your area are channel 14 or higher, then UHF only will work great. You will only need VHF for 2 - 13. If you do not want a large yagi, the Channelmaster 3021 is a great, small UHF only antenna and if you are really close, you might try a Radio Shack double bowtie, they are cheap and some have mounted them in their attic facing the stations with good results. If you put the antenna in the attic, I recommend running good RG6 cable, this will have less loss and less interference. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

It is possible that being close to the stations you could have too much gain, this can cause problems just like not enough. If you suspect this, get an inline attenuator at Radio Shack and try.

Warren

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Craig,

You're in luck...a quick check at www.100000watts.com reveals that all of the current St. Louis DTV assignments are UHF. Don't know about nearby markets, though, and it's possible that one of the DTVs who's analog is currently on VHF might want to/be able to get their DTV reassigned to VHF after the digital transition period is complete (don't hold your breath!) So, as Warren suggested a UHF-only for over-the-air DTV in St. Louis is fine for the foreseeable future.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the local angle, Engine-Ear. I am close to 44 and 270 which you will recognize as a very hilly area (Sunset Hills/Crestwood area), so terrain definitely comes into play. I sit on reasonably high ground but am so close to the towers that multipath is an issue. I can even see the KTVI ones sitting behind Lindbergh High School from my front porch! I have subdivision restrictions that keep me from putting an antenna on a high mast outdoors and was hoping to get something in my attic that would work. The only good news is that there aren't a significant number of large artificial structures in my way, but the terrain issue could get me.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Another St. Louis enthusiast here......in the Ballwin area off of Kiefer Creek Rd (very hilly, lots of trees).

I'm pulling in all four digital network channels (31, 35, 43, 56) and have good signal locks without having to rotate my antenna.

My antenna is a Radio Shack 100" UHF only (U-120 I think is the model number)... ~$39 I figure I'm about 30 miles from the downtown towers, but I'm still able to pull everything in. I have the antenna sitting in my attic, and I have a atrium ranch style house (so the attic, and antenna, is not that high from ground level).

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also live in Southern California, and I am using a Channel Master 4221 UHF bowie style antenna with a Titan 7775 preamp. I get all local Los Angeles and San Diego dtv channels. This is an outstanding antenna. You can install this on a roof or in the attic. One thing great about this antenna is that it works best if it was tilted. Here's where you can see what this antenna looks like in an attic and is tilted. Please visit http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/forum11/html/013755.html

This is a great idea also on how to tilt the antenna in the attic.

Have fun.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
or just go to avs forum and look for "HOW TO TILT A UHF ANTENNA".

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the CM3021 in my attic and it works great. I get all DTV stations in my area, and I am 45 miles from the tower. I have direct line of sight to the tower because I am on a foothill that faces it.

I use a CM 7777 preamp to get the signal strong enough to route through my in-house RG6 cable plant.

tuner is the HiPix card in my pc.

good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.