AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the recommended antenna is a Red coded one medium directional. If I have a red one, that is UHF/VHF and point the UHF elements towards the recommend direction, will it make a difference?

I guess I'd like to know if a UHF only antenna is better to have over a UHF/VHF, or if it makes no difference as long as you have the recommended coded antenna pointed in the correct direction

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Haghighi

I guess I'd like to know if a UHF only antenna is better to have over a UHF/VHF, or if it makes no difference as long as you have the recommended coded antenna pointed in the correct direction
In theory, there's no real difference. However, most antennas, as others have stated, are designed for VHF reception with UHF as an afterthought. If you already have an antenna, it wouldn't hurt to try it. If you don't, give a dedicated UHF antenna serious consideration.

The best UHF antennas are better than any UHF/VHF combo at receiving UHF. But if you're in the "red" zone, you probably don't need the best so you may be able to get by with less.

Sorry this isn't more specific, but there are just so many variables in television reception that the only definitive answer would be "I put it up and it worked at this location."

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I agree with Sregener. Also, keep in mind, the difference in gain/performance from a well designed VHF/UHF combo and a good, hi-gain UHF Yagi w/corner reflector isn't a really big difference, but the difference typically is more pronouced on the Hi-UHF channels, on which typically, even UHF Only Yagi's drop a little in performance. Whether you may need that extra little bit of performance in your specific situation is hard to say.

Another thing to take into consideration is what you want where VHF is concerned. As is the Case with UHF, a seperate VHF antenna also can provide better performance. But, on the other hand, a VHF/UHF combo antenna is a very "consumer friendly" device, as it is in one piece, doesn't require a combiner/etc, requires less mast space than seperates, and is "ready" to receive your analog and digital stations(and FM radio), whatever frequency they may be on now, or in the future.

Although you may not have any, or many VHF DTV stations currently, after analog shut off time, many DTV stations will move back to VHF, Channels 2-51 are to be used for DTV after analog shut off time. A VHF/UHF setup installed now will be "futureproof" no matter what happens. If you're looking for something you can put up, and once you achieve good reception you won't have to mess with it for 20 or 30 years or so, IMO, having VHF/UHF is the way to go.

Most of us out here that have been analog OTA viewers over the years typically use a VHF/UHF combo antenna, with Those looking for every little bit of performance(usually TV Dx'ers/etc) to get the best results from very weak signals/etc, using seperate, Hi-gain VHF/UHF antennas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.