AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Blonder Tongue band A UHF antenna for channels 14-19. It has no rear reflector. I am using it as a channel 16 antenna aimed at 349 degrees magnetic. I am picking up a station that TV Fool lists as -17dbm. I have occasional afternoon dropouts, and I am wondering if I could minimize these dropouts by adding a reflector. There is another physical channel 16 that is at 191 degrees magnetic and is listed on TV Fool as being 12.8dbm lower in signal (-29.8dbm).

I am wondering if this channel might still be strong enough to be causing interference. If so, would attaching a patch of mesh to the tower directly behind the Blonder Tongue give me a better F/B ratio and block that signal? If this would work, does the mesh have to be a certain distance from the active element, based on the frequency for channel 16? Does the mesh need to be angled like they are on other antennas, or would a flat piece, vertical and directly behind the antenna, be enough to do the job? Perhaps this will not work at all and in fact degrade the antenna performance???

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Your antenna has a 21 dB front-to-back ratio. Add that to the fact that the channel off the back of your antenna is 12+ dB lower than the one you want and I don't think this is your problem.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/16931342

Your antenna has a 21 dB front-to-back ratio. Add that to the fact that the channel off the back of your antenna is 12+ dB lower than the one you want and I don't think this is your problem.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscary /forum/post/16930300

I have a Blonder Tongue band A UHF antenna for channels 14-19. It has no rear reflector. I am using it as a channel 16 antenna aimed at 349 degrees magnetic.

I was looking at your excellent setup on your My Antenna Setup thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167702

where you also give your tvfool:
http://webpages.charter.net/willscarlett/Radar-All.png

With such an impressive setup I hope that the WAF (wife acceptance factor) has improved.

Your antenna sounds like it is the BTY-10-U Band A:
http://www.starkelectronic.com/btb1-1.htm
http://www.blondertongue.com/reception/bty.pdf

If it is, it already has a reflector element behind the driven element. I doubt that an additional flat reflector screen behind the existing reflector element would help. Your main problem is that WJFW-DT on CH 16 is way down in negative NM territory.

If you wanted to try an additional flat screen reflector it should be placed 0.2 to 0.25 wavelength behind the existing reflector.

Quote:
I am using it as a channel 16 antenna aimed at 349 degrees magnetic. I am picking up a station that TV Fool lists as -17dbm.

You say that TV Fool lists CH 16 as -17dbm. Don't you mean NM -17.0 dB and signal Pwr -107.9 dBm?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly the antenna I have. Right now I am watching channel 16 with 2 second dropouts every 3 or 4 minutes. It is 5:30 PM.

Later I will have dropouts every 10-15 minutes. After dark, it will be nearly perfect until mid-morning.

I really appreciate your comments.

Yes, I am sorry...NM -17 dB and power at -107.9 dBm.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
During the day I can have problems as stated above. At night it is near dropout free.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am looking for better gain without adding too much more for antenna.

Bill

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although I can not actually measure results, I feel that the BT is at least as good at channel 16 as my 91XG, and definitely better than my CM 4228 is at 16.

I guess that I will just wait until I can find another one on ebay or here on the forums, then stack the two vertically.

With the two large Funke antennas (although, they are surprisingly lightweight!) and the 91XG at the very top of the mast, I am hesitant to install another large antenna on this tower. The BT, while nearly as heavy as the Funke highbander, is very short and can be rear mounted easily. This is a big plus!

Bill

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The last 3 days I have had dropout free reception and signal quality and strengths from 75-88%. Perhaps the dropouts were simply weather related.

I will still look for a 2nd BT for a vertical stack on the tower.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts