AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a R/S combination UHF/VHF antenna with rotator and pre-amp feeding an HD200 stb. With this set-up, I can receive about 30 analog and 6 digital stations (5.1 from Boston; 8.1 & 40.1 from CT, 22.2, 57.1 from Springfield and 19.1 from Albany). I want to pull in more Boston stations, which are about 60 miles away. The 5.1 signal is pretty strong, so I have some hope.

As a first step, I bought a CM 4248, figuring that I could cascade my current UHF/VFH with it. Unfortunately, the instructions clearly state not to use the 4248 in cascade with a UHF/VHF antenna, but to cascade it with a VHF-only antenna.

Is there any around this? What exactly is the nature of the problem? Can I disconnect the VHF portion of my combo? Could I bring two separate RG6 cables into the house and combine the signals there? Do I just have to bite the bullet and buy a VHF only antenna? Any recommendations for a VHF antenna?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it was me I would use the Jerrold VIP 307SR 192" VHF-FM and a Televes DAT-75 UHF with a 7777Channel Master pre-amp. Use RG6 quad shield or RG11 if you have a run over 100 feet. I would also use Snap-N-Seal connectors with dielectric water proofing filler in the "F" connectors.

Don't forget to use a ground block where the cable comes into the house and a good ground on the mast. Of course use the rotor you have now.

Going for 60 miles you need some of the best.

IMHO

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
The objective is to have just one UHF antenna, not two, so if you can physically separate the UHF and VHF sections of your combo antenna, then you would be coupling the old VHF with the new UHF.

If you can't conveniently separate the two sections of your combo antenna, then buy a UHF/VHF combiner from Radio Shack for $9.95, or find someone who will sell you anything called UVSJ for about $3. It will filter off the undesired UHF signal from the combo antenna.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. My plan is to try something relatively inexpensive and check the results before I invest a lot in an exotic rig.

I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find a way to physically separate the UHF and VHF.

Exactly where would a UHF/VHF combiner go?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Go with the UVSJ combiner as Mike suggests. The UVSJ has lots of band isolation, and I don't know why CM would advise against coupling the 4248 in this manner, unless they're trying to idiot-proof all possibilities - e.g. avoid problem of people using a simple combiner/splitter (a definite no-no). The UVSJ will completely block the UHF from your current combo-antenna.

Gerald C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.