AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered ad nauseum, but I'm simply too lazy to try all the GOP-eliminating tools without knowing if it'll fix my problem.

Womble is out of my budget, even if we can get them to come down $50 on a group buy, $200 is just too much in this economy.

Has anyone used Ulead MovieFactory (1 or 2) to successfully put a ReplayTV stream on a DVD? I've got my ReplayTV Box filling up, and now my computer is full of shows... I gotta burn this stuff off.

Thanks,

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes! I have used DVDMF2 several times to burn ReplayTV 4500 mpegs download via DVArchive (medium/high) on DVDs. Very quick and easy. Works perfectly as long as you do not want to edit the mpegs (which forces a re-encode).

·
Registered
228 Posts
DMF2 is definitely a good way to go for the price... on the 5k series though you could have a lot of issues trying to get it to not re-encode... either way though, the quality when it re-encodes isn;t too bad and it;s relativly fast (1-2hrs for 1 hr at high)....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've also used ULead products (MF and WS) to burn Replay MPEGs to DVD. Works real well. And the loss of quality for the re-encode if editing out commericals is very small. Since my Replay loses so much quality from my digital cable box, it's not even noticable at any quality.

The re-encode time will vary depending on your system. If you get WS (Workshop), it's near impossible to get it to NOT re-encode, even for DVD compliant MPEG-2s like the Replay generates (assuming you burn them as is without any edits). MF doesnt have the same problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Been pretty happy w/DMF2 after fighting with the free and shareware tools. But it always re-encodes no matter if I edit or not, high, med, std quality, from the 5040 after d/l w/DVArchive. Two hours (2 shows) takes over 8 hours on my PIII-750 (768M ram, Win2K). That's what night time is for :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just a note that I have DVArchive on a linux server to automatically download shows nighly... when i pull the files from the server, DMF ALWAYS re-ecodes them...

However, The one time I tried it, I used WinReplayPC and downloaded straight to my editing machine and DMF did not re-encode... I don't understand why, but it did work that one time that I tried it...

Unfortunately, I really like the sechedule/auto download thing.... but I may have to give up on it if I have to re-encod all of the files I download using that method....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I was afraid of long re-encoding times.

I wouldn't really have to deal with all this if SonicBlue would just fix the whole flickering bug when a ReplayTV starts recording.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been using DMF1 to make VIDEO_TS folders from RTV mpegs ( both med and High q mpegs) and burnt as DVD using Nero if the final size was less than 4.7 GB ( initilally tried with episodic TV recordings).

After I got the Pinnacle Instant copy, (the ultimate shrinker still retaining good video quality), I was able to put 9 episodes of Seinfeld ( after editing with Womble) in single Title set folder and shrink it and burn directly using Pinnacle Instant copy on a DVD-r media. The final result was good with good video qulity, I tried playing it thro' one of my friend's Dell Projector ( 3200 MP), it came out good.

Only thing I didn't like was the time taken by pinnacleInstant copy software.

Also, the DMF 1 I use , I am not sure if it tries to reencode, ( a real dumb q, how would u know if it is reencoding, if I am making TS folders), it does take about 1 hour to 2 hours to do that.

Can somebody tell me how long DMF 1 or 2 take to either burn fully a DVD ( without reencoding) or make a TS folder?

Jingcha

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I'm playing with a demo of DMF2, and it seems pretty cool, but it reencoded my RTV file without actually shrinking it to fit the DVD. Is this normal? I couldn't find a switch to change it it fit 4.37gigs. Anyone know how to enable this?

-AmoebaMan

P.S. a 2hr movie took 4 hours to "encode" on an Athlon 1800

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same question again, please help....

My RTV set up:

RTV 4504 connected wirelessly to my PC

Mpeg extraction via Replay PC or mostly Qvision ( works very well)

Editing software(s):

Mainly Womble/ occassionally TMPEGenc ( mostly to edit commercials, never had a GOP fixing problem so far with either High Q or Med. Q Mpegs)

Authoring softwares tried so far:

DMF 1: works well to burn as TS folders ( I think it is reencoding the entire Mpegs again, asking for a bigger free HD space and time taken for authoring 9 episodes of 1/2 hour programs as a sing le TS folder- about 4 1/2 hours), outcome successful

Spruceup DVD: Failed invariably, many times doesn't even accept RTV mpegs

Sonic MyDVD: unsuccesful, problem here is , a 2 hour (RTV Mpeg) program to burn, end up with > 4.7 GB file

Burnig softwares:

Pinnacle instant copy/ Nero , both have worked well.

My question is are there any programs which will enable me to author and burn without reencoding ( takes lot of time) my RTV mpegs either episodic or full length feature films ( i do this for some old Indian movies, the DVDs of which are unavailable).

or

Are there any programs to burn my Mpegs ( RTV) directly....like drag and drop to Nero ( NERO takes only VOB, BUP, Iso file or as Title sets containg them) as DVds.

Ur help will be highly appreciated, I have spent several months figuring this with no success in avoiding reencoding business.

Thanks in advance

Jingcha

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jingcha
My question is are there any programs which will enable me to author and burn without reencoding ( takes lot of time) my RTV mpegs either episodic or full length feature films ( i do this for some old Indian movies, the DVDs of which are unavailable).
well, ur prayers should be answered shortly :)...a new proggie called DVD-LAB is in beta testing right now and promises to be one of the best dvd authoring apps around. cool thing is, the developer is working w/ a lot of us to specifically get ReplayTV files to work.

check out the DVD-LAB FORUM ...the author's name is Oscar and he posts all the time on the board....a few of us AVSForum guys are over there a lot too...i started an OFFICIAL RTV MPEG THREAD over there that deals w/ the compatability of RTV files.

i don't know if u can still get the beta, but check that forum for updates...as soon as he gets the RTV (and Tivo) files to work (we've sent him a few over the past few weeks), then i'm sure he's gonna officially release DVD-lab....should only be ~$80 or so...well worth the $$.

sturmie

btw, i know i've pushing this a lot over here lately, but i really think this app is gonna be killah.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, Sturmie. Eagerly awaiting for the full version, tried installing the beta, ended up making a coaster, as my WIN xp crashed while byrning a DVD using Pinnacle instant copy.

Hope the full version will solve all the problems

Jingcha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.