AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say I have mixed emotions over Ulead's new MovieFactory version 3. I downloaded the trial version from the website because it supports motion menus. I record most of my shows on extended quality as the quality of these files are perfectly acceptable for me and sometimes I can even put three movies on one DVD ( but always two).

I thought having motion menus would be a pretty neat trick and fun to have on my DVDs so I downloaded the newest version. I found this program to be much slower and the response in creating and naming menus etc to be almost hair pulling slow. After I got every thing set up, and ready to burn my DVD I clicked on "output". This is where I was VERY dissatisfied.

MovieFactory 2 will burn a DVD in 20 to 30 mins. I must say that after 2-1/2 hours I had not even BEGUN to be finished. At this point, I was only 72% finished with JUST THE MOTION MENU part and had not even begun to creat VOBs and far away from burning the DVD. I started the project at 11:00 PM and at 1:30 AM finally went to bed at left everything running.

This morning, it had finished (thank goodness) and the results WERE what I expected. Works great in DVD set top player, but my goodness, at that rate, this would be ONLY for special DVDs. I do not know if its JUST the trial version (I highly doubt it) or if the paid version would be any quicker. I personally think they took 1 step forward, and about 50 (or 2 years) backwards with this one. Any more experiences with Factory 3?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had a similar experience, but your problems are not with MF3, but with your PC's performance. The time it takes to render a motion menu can be rather significant depending on your settings. Try using less of the video for the menu... 10 seconds rather than 30 seconds. or fewer menu items.

The time is spent sniping the bit of video needed and re-sizing and re-compressing it for display in the menu. Additionally, if you are using motion chapter menus and have auto-generated your chapters, MF3 must go through this process for each chapter, so if your video it 2 hours and your have auto-chapter every 5 minutes, that's 24 other bits of encoding it must perform.

Used in moderation motion menus are a very cool feature. I have combined video and slide shows on the same motion menu with nice results.

BTW, if you are also using a motion background, guess what... it has to work on that one too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I'm a newbie, I can't compare Ulead MF2. I have used the Ulead MF3. I found the entire creation slow as well, and for all I know that might be the motion menus.

The motion menus are really cool.

My 1.8GHz M-P4 laptop it took about 1 hour to export a 1:45 movie with 5 chapter points using 20 second moving menus for Scene Selection entry and the 5 scenes themselves.

I exported to hard drive, and then burned using Veritas Record Now Max V 4.5 as a Data Disk.

Veritas Record Now Max took about 30 - 40 mins to burn at 2X DVD-R.

I expect if you burn directly to DVD it takes longer than to Hard Drive.

Video & Audio are synched and perfect.

It sounds like motion menu's may make the difference in speed.

Anybody tried burning without motion menus?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I downloaded the Demo of MF3 and have been playing with it. I haven't had a burn go longer than 1hr, and that's with both motion background and menus. I keep them to 10 seconds or less because any more and the space required on the disc becomes quite large.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.