AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need some help choosing my next subwoofers , I got it narrowed down to these , if I cannot decide then I will just get a single Submersive or stop reading about subwoofers and just be happy with my MFW-15 which really is a good performer.

I am thinking about 2 of each of these,

1. HSU ULS15

2. Epik Dragon

3. Elemental Designs A7s-450

4. Rythmik F15

5. Rythmik D15SE

what is important to me, in this order...,

1. build quality and looks

2. music performance

3. HT performance

Some thoughts I have....

All are sealed subwoofers, the HSUs can be wireless but I wonder how reliable the wireless is, from what ive read the Rythmiks have the best SQ for music but I worry a bit how their HT performance is. Are the Rythmic basically the same?

·
Registered
559 Posts
is your room bass problematic? or do you have good uniform bass?

good uniform bass - get submersive

bass issues - get 2 seperate subs

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I doubt anyone here has heard all of them. As far as looks go, in my opinion the HSU and Rythmik look better than the ED or Epik, especially if you order the nicer finishes. A piano gloss HSU is a lovely thing and so is the D15 Signature Edition Rythmik. I prefer the front firing design though, as I do like to watch the woofer at work. The wireless feature helps with aesthetics too; less spaghetti is always a welcome sight.

The wireless feature works fine, by the way. There are just a few basic things you have to check if you are having a less than perfect connection.

Which has more raw output is something I could only guess about. It probably wouldn't be the Rythmik with its less powerful amp and 15 inch driver. It's output would probably also be tempered somewhat by it's direct servo technology, that is if I understand the technology correctly. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I am wrong about that. I am sure that two of them would be able to get louder than what I would ever need them to be, though.

As far as sound quality goes, my guesses become even more uninformed. The Rythmik has its excellent reputation with the direct servo technology. The ULS supposedly uses XBL^2 low distortion technology. I don't understand how it works, maybe somebody can translate this into plain terms for me, but I guess it can dramatically reduce distortion. The ULS is phenomenal for music, which is what I use it for. It's the best subwoofer I have personally heard, although I have not heard any of the others being discussed here.

With the ED and Epik subs, they are using about the same level of amplifier energy as the ULS but to move more mass. How that impacts sound quality is something I can't speculate about, because design efficiency probably has more to with that than RMS wattage value of its amplifier (but even that is speculation on my part). I think they would sound terrific though. Most likely better then their ported siblings.

You can't go wrong with any of these subs. If money isn't an issue, I would go for the piano black ULS because it is a drop dead gorgeous subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Hello again James,

That list looks very familar to me, Why? because it is the same list I made and contemplated for 9 months.

I decided to try the Hsu subs first out of the above list and this is why I am glad I went with the Dual Drive:

I was amazed at the build quality of the Hsu when I first got them out of the box. It looked like they took a block of walnut and put an amp and a speaker in it.

Music performance was the number one reason for my choice. As stated before fast and accurate. A D flat note sounds like a D flat note.

The added bonus of having the dual drive system is, you will have the output necessary for HT and the ability to have extremely low extension which are showing up more in movies.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/16845837

As far as looks go, in my opinion the HSU and Rythmik look better than the ED or Epik, especially if you order the nicer finishes. A piano gloss HSU is a lovely thing and so is the D15 Signature Edition Rythmik.

Yeah , it looks like both ED and Epik do a truck bed liner type finish, no?

I think between ED and Epik id go ED because a pair of A7s450s are $1600 shipped. However I need a nice finish so those 2 are out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
How big is your room? Depending on your room size, even one Rythmik 15" could be fine. I went with a Rythmik because of its combination of size, looks / build quality, and accuracy with music. It does a great job with HT too.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/16847103

Yeah , it looks like both ED and Epik do a truck bed liner type finish, no?

I think between ED and Epik id go ED because a pair of A7s450s are $1600 shipped. However I need a nice finish so those 2 are out.

The Epik finish is smooth black, the ED is matte black (I really don't know what that means, but it's no longer truck bed liner). Build quality it very solid. I've seen the Phoenix. As far as SQ and output, I have no clue. If finishes are the kicker then you're limited to either Hsu or Rythmik. I'd think both ED and Epik would have an output advantage with the ED being the loudest. It's also 2" in every dimension larger (the size of the Phoenix which ain't small). The Epik is supposed to mirror the output of a sealed Ultra whose groundplane measurements are availabe at the Shack. I don't know if anyone's confirmed this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd like to know where you can buy one of those subs listed in Canada...seems every time I find a nice sub it's in the US and costs a fortune to ship to Canada.

sometimes I feel like I live in a 3rd world country it's so hard to find nice things and get them shipped at a decent price

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
From that list, and based on your criteria, I'd take the ULS-15 dual drive.

I would also strongly consider dual A7S-450's for the extra savings, especially if budget is a factor for you.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC /forum/post/16848406

From that list, and based on your criteria, I'd take the ULS-15 dual drive.

I would also strongly consider dual A7S-450's for the extra savings, especially if budget is a factor for you.

Hey BRAC,

How's the new Paradigm sub doing for you? I beat it sounds good.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/16848610

Hey BRAC,

How's the new Paradigm sub doing for you? I beat it sounds good.

It has been really great, thanks for asking. I'm planning to write up a mini review, but I'm waiting until I get my new PBK-1 kit in the loop. It's still on order.

I'm already starting to think about dual Sub 12's...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/16845963

Hello again James,

That list looks very familar to me, Why? because it is the same list I made and contemplated for 9 months.

I decided to try the Hsu subs first out of the above list and this is why I am glad I went with the Dual Drive:

I was amazed at the build quality of the Hsu when I first got them out of the box. It looked like they took a block of walnut and put an amp and a speaker in it.

Music performance was the number one reason for my choice. As stated before fast and accurate. A D flat note sounds like a D flat note.

The added bonus of having the dual drive system is, you will have the output necessary for HT and the ability to have extremely low extension which are showing up more in movies.

Hope this helps.

HI there,

WHy did you not go with the submersive? i know dual drive is 2 15" speakers please explain.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I decided on buying and trying the HSU first because they were to be placed in a family room and I wanted them to match my walnut credenza/tv stand and the submersive were only available in textured black at the time. So aesthetics took priority in my situation. I also figured that if they did not perform, HSU has a 30 day back guarantee, so why not give it a shot.

However, after dialing in the ULS-15s and playing 50% music and 50% HT, I was pleasently surprised at how well they sounded and how much output they had for my room. As I stated before these HSU subs are being used along with two older velodynes plus very efficient legacy Klipsch Forte II speakers which have a 12" woofer and a 15" passive radiator. Therefore I have the mid bass slam with the velodynes and the Fortes and the really low end from the ULS-15s. This might or might not work in your situation. If you are only going to use one sub then the submersive might still be your better option. But even Mr. Seaton suggest multiples of his subs to really make an impact.

If you have been following some of the other threads, Vivid (forum member) is not totally convinced yet if his Dual Drive is up to the task of filling his very large, very reflective room with enough bass. However, he did come to my house before buying the ULS-15 dual drive and was impressed enough to buy a Dual drive system to try first in his house. So again the room is very important in getting the desired performance.

I hope this helped some and PM me if you want to talk some more about it on the phone.

·
Premium Member
8,820 Posts
1) Build quality and looks = Dual Drive in veneer finish (IIRC the Rythmik isn't quite up to the standard set by the HSU ULS-15

2) Music performance = F15 (by a small margin).

Since build quality and looks are your number one priority the Dual Drive takes first place overall.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16870857

1) Build quality and looks = Dual Drive in veneer finish (IIRC the Rythmik isn't quite up to the standard set by the HSU ULS-15

2) Music performance = F15 (by a small margin).

Since build quality and looks are your number one priority the Dual Drive takes first place overall.

Explain number 2 please. Is it because, in your opinion the servo gives it that small edge?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/16870406

Maybe for better room response. Two 15" driver in one cabinet is still one sub.

Very well said Hksvr4. And I am proud of you for not having the word Dragon in your post.
Just kidding around. I know you are very happy with your Epik Dragon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.