Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My ULT was working fine then i unplugged it from the wall cause of a move and then when i went and hooked it up again all that will come up is the WebTV. It starts to dial-up webtv and then disconnects. Is there a way to get around this and get back to the guide data and watching tv again?

Thanks,

Dig

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Is WebTV trying to connect to download a "software upgrade" OR is it trying to log into your WebTV/MSNTV account?

If it is trying to get a "software update", then you may want to check that all is well with the hard drive and UTV receiver.

UTVs do not like power failures, so consider a UPS to protect from unintended power loss...

If it is trying to log into your account you should look for "auto-connect" settings and disable. Pressing Clear or Exit should return you to "normal" UTV/DVR functions.

Later,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it tries and dials out it doesnt connect and then i can get into the "dialing options" menu and within in there i dont see any option to turn off auto connect.

The only options i see under "dialing Options" are Basic, Call Waiting, Use Your ISP, Access, Advanced and Reset.

How can i check if it is the Hard Drive or UTV receiver?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Try this "test"

Put the UTV into "standby/off" mode. (Power light "OFF" hard drive and fan ON)

Enter UTV Code 411 via UTV Remote.

On power up you should see the 411 Screen which gives you various options... Now Press Clear or Exit on your Remote...

If your UTV has a functional hard drive with a working OS you should one of the UTV Menus... From there you should be able to exit to the Home Screen or MY SHOWS etc...

If you're unable too you might have an issue with your Hard Drive or a bad connection in the UTV...

Issues like yours might a loose cable OR a bad Hard Drive... Check out the UTV FAQ for more info. about the mysterys of the UTV and failures to power up or function properly.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright the soap opera continues here. When i am in standbye mode and enter in the code 411 i get the screen "WebTV Technical Information" and then it lists Client, Boot, SSID, Chip Version, SysConfig, Modem info...

Now across the bottom i have 2 options, Power Off or Connect. When i Power Off and turn the unit back on it tries to connect again to the web. If i choose connect well it tries to connect and we are back to square one...

Should i have my access card in when i am doing these tests?

Also in your first reply you mention if it is trying to connect and download an update and the answer to that is a Yes.

What do you think we should try next? :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
hi,

When you are in the "Webtv" screen and you press the clear (RCA) OR exit (Sony) button on your remote. What happens?

If you don't exit to a different UTV menu I'd suspect your UTV needs fixing.

Now you are unable to download the software? You might consider options to get your UTV to attempt download OR force a working OS onto the drive...

There are various options to try. Let us know what you are willing to do.

·
Banned
176 Posts
Dig:

This might be it: when you first turn on your Utv, immediately hit the tv/web button on your remote...to toggle your unit back to TV mode. Hopefully, your just in WebTV mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the World turns.... Ok when i am in the WebTV and hit clear nothing happens...

NLogN i tried your idea and nothing either. At this stage of the game i am willing to try anything, such as force an OS onto the drive or whatever it takes to get this unit back and working... just tell me what i have to do.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Have you attempted to complete a software download of the UTV Software?

Some people will have issues getting a good WebTV/MSNTV connection so you may need to figure out work arounds... (Via your own ISP, other locations, from home "test" jack)

"The Northern Frontier" might be a bit outside MSNTV's service area. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am north, i am located in Canada. Now i dont know what options i have available to me but any help would be great. If i need to put an OS onto another HD i can do that but i would an image file of one. Anybody know where i can get one from? Or are there any other options for me?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The easiest option for you is to set yourself up with a free local dial-up ISP if you can. Then configure the UTV to use that ISP to connect to the internet.

If you can't get that to work, then you can find both the 3.5 and 3.7 image at http://www.tivostuff.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

I have a drive here that i was using in another pc and i have formated the drive which i just found out was the wrong thing to do to get it working in WinHex. I downloaded the image file from www.tivostuff.com and have it sitting here on my HD.

1) Do i have to do anything with the HD now to get it working in WinHex with this image file since i formated it what has to happen now?

2) Since i have an image file i can start at this step as quoted from you herculito,

" Now that you have the file you can disconnect the drive and hook up your new drive. on the new drive select offset 0 as begining of block and 178c2fff as end of block "

Where do you select offset 0 as the begining block and 178c2fff as the end block?

Any help would be great thanks.

Dig

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have formatted the drive, then all you have to do is write 00's to the drive using winhex. Select the very first character at offset 0, right click, and choose beginning of block. Scroll all the way down, right click on the very last character, and select end of block. Now your whole drive should be highlighted.

Go to edit->fill block You want to fill the block with 00 in hex. This process will take some time, but afterwards, you will have a completely blank hard drive. You can then follow herculito's steps starting with the step directly after the one you posted (as you have already done this).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Cyberbob thanks for the reply back, my drive is completed and i am ready to move on to the next step. This is from herculito's guide:

"after it zeros that chunk goto tools then disk tools then clone disk

on source file select read sectors from image file and select the file you saved from before. select your destination drive and start sector will be 631811 (this is lba 13480600 or sector 09a403 in hex...which is sector 631811 in decimal)(make sure you select copy entire source) and click ok it will write the sectors and you and the drive should be showing the data starting

at 13480600 now disconnect the drive install it in the utv plugin the power cord utv should now come up to the welcome to utv screen. "

Do i now just load up the image file of 3.5 and then select the right drive to write the image to? and the click go? i dont understand what he means by the starting sector will be 631811 and the end sector will be 13480600...

Confusion has set in on my end.

Dig

·
Registered
76 Posts
When you go to Tools->Disc Tools->Clone Image, you are presented with a dialog box. In the source disk box, press the button above it that shows the picture of a piece of paper. You can then browse to find your 3.5 file.

For destination, choose the button with the icon of a hard drive and then choose your UTV hard drive.

On the right-hand side, check the box that says "Copy entire source to disk" This will grey out two of the following boxes leaving only "start sector (destination)"

You should pay specific attention to the word "sector", as what you commonly find mentioned here is offsets. The operating system needs to be located at offset 13480600, which when calculated out, equals lba sector 631811. Therefore, this is the # that you put into this box.

I leave the rest of the check boxes blank and click OK. Let it do it's thing, shouldn't take too long as it's only about 32 MB. When done, just verify that you have written it correctly by checking the afore mentioned offset, 13480600. You should see FSNo in the exact place that Herculito refers to in the first half of his post.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now where it says "start sector (destination) i put in the # 631811. Then click on go and let it do its job.

Also when i put the drive back into the ULT i have to set it to Master and not Slave correct?

When it is complete i put the drive back into the ULT and turn it on and i should come across the ULT welcome screen. If i dont get that screen and it is still trying to dial out what is the problem then? Is it the actually ULT and can that be fixed?

Thanks,

Dig

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your steps are correct. The only things I will add (I think I forgot to mention this earlier) is to disconnect the drive from your computer (at least the IDE cable) before shutting windows down. Windows 2000 and XP add their signature to the drive if it is connected while you shut down. As for master/slave, yes, it has to be on master or single when put into the UTV. For WD drives, it must be jumpered on single, which is no jumper at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.