AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a newbie here, I had the Ultimate TV for 2 years now and thinking of adding a High Definition receiver. Will I lose the Ultimate TV receiver if I hook one of these HD receivers or can I hook both of them on one TV set?

Any feedbacks or inputs is deeply appreciated.

Max
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Some related questions (HD) from me. I have a round 18" dish with dual LNB going into a 3x4 multiswitch. Two of those outputs feed another 3x4 multiswitch and two UTV's. The other two outputs feed the bedroom UTV. I'm considering a move to DirecTV-HD. I know I have to replace the dish in order to get DirecTV-HD. I also have to add the DirecTV-HD Receiver. Questions:

a) I understand the triple LNB dish has an integrated multiswitch with 4 outputs. Are all those outputs the same (carry the same info) ... or is one (or more) output different -- used only for HD?

b) How much of my exisiting multiswitch and cabling can I keep? I think I have to replace that first multiswitch with one that "passes" the signal for the HD and satellite switching ... is that right?

c) Will I have remote control conflicts with the DirecTV-HD Receiver if I keep the UTV's in the room too (one is set to normal, the other to AUX)?

Thanks for any advise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I can only answer the part about the signal coming out of the triple LNB dish they are all the same, the reasson for the triple LNB is to be able to dial in to the HD pograming. I have one bu no HD reciever yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxshepard
Hi I'm a newbie here, I had the Ultimate TV for 2 years now and thinking of adding a High Definition receiver. Will I lose the Ultimate TV receiver if I hook one of these HD receivers or can I hook both of them on one TV set?

Any feedbacks or inputs is deeply appreciated.

Max
I depends on how many inputs you have on your TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already got the triple LNB wide dish installed 2 months ago and I've got 2 inputs to the Ultimate TV and the other 2 other lines goes to each bedroom, guess I'll have to choose Ultimate or HD then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I've already got the triple LNB wide dish installed 2 months ago and I've got 2 inputs to the Ultimate TV and the other 2 other lines goes to each bedroom, guess I'll have to choose Ultimate or HD then?
Or you can get a 5x8 cascadable switch and then you will be able to run a third line to your main TV.

Quote:
can I hook both of them on one TV set?
I have a Hughes E-86 HD receiver and a DirecTivo connected to the same TV. Works great.

Quote:
a) I understand the triple LNB dish has an integrated multiswitch with 4 outputs. Are all those outputs the same (carry the same info) ... or is one (or more) output different -- used only for HD?
They are capable of carrying the same info but not at the same time. They can be in on of the following states: 1.Odd transponders on 101 2.Even transponders 101 3.Odd transponders 110/119. 4.Even transponders 110/119.

Quote:
b) How much of my exisiting multiswitch and cabling can I keep? I think I have to replace that first multiswitch with one that "passes" the signal for the HD and satellite switching ... is that right?
As many as you want BUT any time you run the signal through one you will lose the ability to get the 110 and 119 satellites. For access to all satellites, you will need a cascadable switch.

Quote:
c) Will I have remote control conflicts with the DirecTV-HD Receiver if I keep the UTV's in the room too (one is set to normal, the other to AUX)?
Most DirecTV receivers have different remote addresses for this situation.


-Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ready to order the HD receiver but checking the 5 x 8 cascade switch from smarthome.com at 472.00? Is this right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
you can also try it out by moving one of your lines to the UTV to the HD receiver. See if there is enough HD programming to keep you interested before you spend the money on the switch.


I tried it for a month or two, and not having pvr functions available in HD made me pack up the receiver and put in the basement.


I will probably bring it back up for the superbowl and reactivate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slocko
See if there is enough HD programming to keep you interested before you spend the money on the switch.


I tried it for a month or two, and not having pvr functions available in HD made me pack up the receiver and put in the basement.


I will probably bring it back up for the superbowl and reactivate it.
I am amazed that anyone subscribes to DTV's HDTV package at all. $10.99 a month for only 5 channels is bad enough, but having to fork over another $400 on top of that for a new receiver and dish is just insane. Add to that, the local network affiliates stranglehold on broadcast rights and I don't see how any DTV subscribers can reasonably expect to see an HD local network package for at least 3 years, maybe never. Until they get that straightened out, I can't see myself ever using DTV as my HDTV programming source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
It was a waste of $700 for me. I haven't been able to watch the superbowl because once in my area I haven't been able to get fox or abc with a regular tv antenna. So hopefully this year that at least I will get that.


But once HD Tivo becomes available, every thing changes. Because then I can record movies at high quality and surround sound. I can then cancel netflix at $20 bucks a month.


I'll be able to record shows like Sopranos, Sex City, and 24 at high quality and not have to buy the boxed sets. So in the long run it would save me money.

Quote:
Originally posted by LongRufus
I am amazed that anyone subscribes to DTV's HDTV package at all. $10.99 a month for only 5 channels is bad enough, but having to fork over another $400 on top of that for a new receiver and dish is just insane. Add to that, the local network affiliates stranglehold on broadcast rights and I don't see how any DTV subscribers can reasonably expect to see an HD local network package for at least 3 years, maybe never. Until they get that straightened out, I can't see myself ever using DTV as my HDTV programming source.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top