AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, Terry F was at my shop and had this killer high output LED pen style flashlight. This little gem put out an intense white light that is perfect for checking the condition of CRT faces without pulling the lenses. Even a color corrected red can be seen clearly. He got it in Germany, so I figured it would be difficult to find here in the US.

Last night I was in Target, and sure enough they had it! It is a Eddie Bauer, and you can find it in the camping section. Granted it is $25 dollars, but worth every penny if you spend a lot of time check out projectors or if you just want to do a quick check on your own unit.

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a perfect LED flashlight for checking the condition of CRT faces to it's a German product from Mellert.

But it's only for 230v because it's rechargeable and you just put it in to the wall sockets to recharge.

I have attached a picture that shows the difference between a Maglite and the Mellert.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Nick,

That is great that these LED flashlights can be had in the US. They are really great!! Thanks for the tip.

Terry

·
Registered
51 Posts
One option would be to buy a Nokia 5100. It has a built in LED-flashlight. I haven't actually applied it to checking tube burns, but I guess it's possible.

"Hey guys! My LED-flashlight has a built in cell phone in it!"

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
LED technology is moving really quickly. All kinds of lights are coming out. I recently purchased a ItzyBitsy Book light LED that I attached to my key board for my HTPC, works great.

Once this improves a bit more they will be a great substitute for bulbs.

Most of the energy from LEDs converts to light, not heat, like standard bulbs. Also, the light is much more acceptable then the florescent bulbs that are out now.

Another fact about bulbs, not that anyone asked. 25% of your electic bill goes into lighting your home, when and if LED hits it can save 80% of that expenditure.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I have about eight different white LED flashlights. They do differ in grade of LED. For lower brightness, but very long battery life I'd recommend the Lightwave 4 LED units. A good high brightness (several fold brighter) but low cost Luxeon Star based light is the 3AA CMG Reactor http://www.basegear.com/cmgreactor3aa.html

Many other brands are available. The better ones are fairly white, while the lower grade units are quite blue tinted. You can easily spend over $125 on a high grade luxeon with power converter.

I much prefer units which use standard alkaline AA cells rather than lithium cells. Even with the lower capacity of alkaline cells, the LED flashlights run for hours and hours.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
BTW, the headlights by Petzel are wonderful for working around projectors. Lightweight and handsfree lighting which isn't too bright lets you tweak away without losing night vision. Battery life is very very long.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to mention that the LED flashlight I spoke of uses standard AA batteries.

Guy, my business partner uses a head light similar to what you spoke of for hunting. It comes with both red and white LEDs. The red is nice for working around a PJ since it does not effect your night vision either...

Regards,

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.