AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, for a while now I have been after the Ultimate in recording HDTV and playing it back throughout the house. A series of extremely recent events have made this possible:

1) Version 2.0a of the Nextcom R5000HD software.

The new version of the software makes it possible to:

Schedule recordings from a remote PC (client).

Set recurring recordings (Daily, Weekly, etc.)

Record non-HD signals from DirecTV.

2) Infrant's ReadyNAS 600 Support for UPNP

There is now a simple software update which adds UPNP to the ReadyNAS so that it can be seen by any compatible UPNP device.

3) IO-Data Linkplayer2 - Full TS file playback and true UPNP Support

The latest firmware for the Linkplayer2 now allow for complete support of TS file playback with FF and REW as well as UPNP support - so it can see the files recorded onto the ReadyNAS 600 all by its little lonesome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With these three things, I can now still an LP2 on any HDTV in the house and watch all of my recorded HD signals wherever I want. Given that the HD-Tivos can not do this, this has put me into HD Heaven!

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Regarding 2) and 3), is there still a 4GB FAT32 file size limit with NAS solutions?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't seem to be. My NAS has many TS files much greater than 4 gb. They playback fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My interest is peaked....

I'm looking for a good HD recording solution. None of the set-top boxes impress me. I just want to record OTA HD, and play it back at a later time.

I'm new to this...but I assume you're recording via your PC, then playing back via wireless? Some more details and links would be very welcome. I don't want to build a home theatre PC, but if I can use my PC to record, that's a step in the right direction. Any more info is appreciated!

Nathan

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
Holy crap that's an expensive setup.

The avel link player is interesting though since it can play HD certified divx. If you can record OTA HD onto your computer into divx, then it'd be pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Expensive???

CHEAP!!!

ReadyNAS with drives - about the same price as the HD-Tivo, but can distribute signals around the house to wherever you want - $1,000.

Nextcom's R5000HD - $500 (current AVS pricing)

IO-Data Linkplayer - $250 (minus a $50 rebate if upgrading another net solution)

So, for under $2,000 you can run multiple streams of HD, recorded from Satelitte to anywhere in your home. If you look at competitive products on the marketplace, this is an amazing deal. The only thing that would make it better is if the software which controls the Nextcom receiver could be built into the IO-Data player - now that would be SWEET!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.