AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want this thread to catalogue basically the most awesome speakers ever made whether commercial or DIY.

i am posting this in DIY speakers rather than speakers because i want to focus on their DESIGN as opposed to say value, availability or ability to fit them into one's room.

for every speaker i want to see at least one clear picture and a few words about the speaker - such as who made it, when, and what makes it special in your view. and of course if you heard it - what did you think ? that way we can all learn something.

here are some suggestions for you as far as speakers to write about:

B&W Nautilus, Martin Logan Statement, Apogee Grand, Audio Artistry Beethoven, JBL Project Everest, Avalon Acoustics Sentinel, JM Lab Grand Utopia, Wilson Grand Slamm, Magnepan 20.1

and then there's these guys:

http://www.transmissionaudio.com/

that frankly scare me !

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The B&W 800's were the first speaker that I could close my eyes and believe a half-track recording of an upright bass was real. (Revox to Levenson pre and amp).

The original Quad needs to be listed. No bass, no treble, but driven by an MV50 the rest was almost magic.

The big Theil was very good. Nothing special, nothing stands out. That is what makes it so good. Just a transducer. Like a high end version of the Vanderstien. "do nothing wrong"

The statements are impressive, but I am not sure I would call them correct. Too real?

I have not heard the Orion. I really would like to. Same with the new Snell flagship.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/17015060

The original Quad needs to be listed. No bass, no treble, but driven by an MV50 the rest was almost magic.

what do you think makes it not have treble ?

capacitive impedance of the panel ? transformer ? combination of the two ? geometry ?

what would you say is the highest frequency that isn't lacking on electrostats ?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Just talking the original Quad not all electrostatics, and I do not know the later 66. Why I don't know, but even when Levinson put two of them in a big frame, they just did not seem to have a top end. Maybe 12 to 13 K. I am reaching back now 30 years to remember. I knew two systems pretty well. One was MV50 and PV5 with a SOTA and Denon, the other had a PV7 with a Lynn and Denon. All of your thoughts would be worth considering. It could be related to the delay lines. They really needed a sub, but in those days we had nothing even close to matching. Put on a nice female vocalist and wow!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
sometimes performance follows money, even if the relationship is not linear.

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

jack bouska also has an interesting build over on audioheritage:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=12126

it was an "ultimate diy"-type project, so maybe more interesting to folks around here who haven't seen it than some of the million dollar speakers. i haven't heard it, but i have researched his reasoning extensively and it makes a boatload of sense to me from driver selection to implementation.

never forget the lansing iconic. hey, you didn't say for which year, the speaker had to be the ultimate! ;-) the lansing iconic, being among the first 15"/horn two-ways has had more influence in practical terms than just about any other speaker.

of course, we should not forget about from where we come, so here is another "little legend" of which nobody has heard, the Compass Triphonic – first system to incorporate an external “subwoofer” thus giving birth to the sub/sat system. [mouse over the semi-blank space to reveal the answer if you haven't guessed.]

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You would think for over 100K that they would not be so darn ugly! Not a one in the list would be allowed in my living room.

Influence for the time? AR-1. Ls35a. VOT, and the speaker that brought the first semblance of Hi-Fi to audiences everywhere, the Advent.

I can't claim to have heard it, but the most outrageous speaker ever built had to be the Berwin horns.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/17015339

You would think for over 100K that they would not be so darn ugly! Not a one in the list would be allowed in my living room.

not even the steinway lyngdorf model d?

i can't say they are worth the money, but to many people, i can sure see how they could be worth the looks!

not too shabby.

not sure if this link works:

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/Admi...D+Brochure.pdf

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Far better than some, but I believe the response would have something about "those ugly doors". 31 years last week, so I can guess pretty well! Nixed the Sequals when I was saving up for them. No "f**** way about the 2Ce's. (Black tombstones) Understand, we live in our living room. That includes fine music and an occasional movie. I consider it part of the DIY art to get the results without the intrusion. For a hundred grand, they should be invisible.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Here are three:

Gradient Revolution:

7" Seas coax (bespoke model with their G-cone) in a cardoid box, twin 12" woofers in OB.

Comments: the only "hi-fi" speaker I've heard recently that didn't suck.

GedLee Summa

B&C 15TBX100, B&C DE25 on oblate-spheroid waveguide.

Comments: simple, elegant, thought-out design.

And in the "ugly but oh my what performance!" category, the Tannoy System 215 DMT II.

15" Dual Concentric 2.5-way with 15" woofer, gigantic cabinet, and considering what my comparatively puny 12 DMT II's can do, enough output for auditoriums!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 /forum/post/17016652

GedLee Summa

B&C 15TBX100, B&C DE25 on oblate-spheroid waveguide.

Comments: simple, elegant, thought-out design.

simple and elegant doesn't mean ultimate.

mini cooper is simple and elegant - it is not an ultimate car.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Mbl radialstrahler. The big set with matching subwoofers. Those are some odd but supposedly great sounding speakers. I would love to hear them with their matching electronics.

Ne plus ultra. New specialty speakers from either Sweden or Switzerland but can't remember which. Just had a thread over on the speaker forum about them last week. Completely over priced at $1M a channel. Of course subs and amps are included in that price. Full range, horribly over designed and spl's at 146 db for a single channel.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/17017033

Mbl radialstrahler. The big set with matching subwoofers. Those are some odd but supposedly great sounding speakers.

Hmm....i heard them in shows, showroom + user's room, electronics and all. Don't really like them. But i guess its just my preference.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I've heard the Audio Artistry Beethovens mentioned above. The designer feels that they have been pretty much superceded by his much smaller and much cheaper Orions.

Having built an Orionesque speaker myself, I would tend to agree.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I have just read about them (mbl). There is nowhere around here that I can give them a preview. But from what I read they have apparently not did very well in show settings. Seems that they almost always go out trying to "flex their muscles" and play blaringly loud demos. When they were played and setup correctly in a well treated listening room they apparently shine. Like I said, I would like to hear them. Will never be able to afford something like them, but it would be nice to listen for a few minutes.

I have heard a full 5.1 set of wilsons including the Alexandria for front channels. I thought they sounded good, but the room they were in may not have helped them out. I could tell the lower midrange was a little absent, but not sure if it was the speakers or the room.

I do like the b&w 800 series though. Really like the way they sound, but compared to the other speakers I mentioned they are much cheaper.

Listened to some thiel stuff and I wasn't horribly impressed. They are good speakers, but compared to the b&w they didn't seem to have the same dynamics or nice warm sounding mids. Listened to both of them in the same room with mcintosh tube amps.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/17017173

I've heard the Audio Artistry Beethovens mentioned above. The designer feels that they have been pretty much superceded by his much smaller and much cheaper Orions.

Having built an Orionesque speaker myself, I would tend to agree.

for many, orions are the ****. for others, they are spl limited. the bass units on the beethovens were huge, as is required for prodigious amounts of bass from open baffle subs.

too bad nobody has figured out a way to code the orion crossover network into a dcx2496. i bet that would get more people involved.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/17017608

for many, orions are the ****. for others, they are spl limited. the bass units on the beethovens were huge, as is required for prodigious amounts of bass from open baffle subs.

too bad nobody has figured out a way to code the orion crossover network into a dcx2496. i bet that would get more people involved.

The Orion is SPL limited, which is why I doubled up the mids and went with high excursion 12 inch bass drivers. A pair of modern high excursion 12" drivers should give you similar bass output to the Beethoven.

I use a modified Orion crossover in my DCX.

Here's another steroided Orion:

http://www.mfk-projects.com/seas_4way_dipole.htm

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/17016944

simple and elegant doesn't mean ultimate.

In this case, it does. I would rather listen to those speakers long-term than any of the others listed here. Including the 215 DMT II's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2100 /forum/post/17017056

Hmm....i heard them in shows, showroom + user's room, electronics and all. Don't really like them. But i guess its just my preference.

My thoughts on the big mbl's echo yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/17017173

I've never heard the Beethoven, only the Dvorak, but it makes sense. The Orion uses much better drivers from top to bottom. Particularly in the bass, where the XLS10 is leagues better than the previous woofers. That said, the Dvorak sounds quite good, and sounded better once I doubled up the bass modules.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts