AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Ultimate Electronics last evening and saw a Panny RP91 on display. I spoke with a sales counselor and explained that it is a discontinued model.


Today I spoke with the store manager and explained that the unit is discontinued. He explained to me that it hasn't quite gone disco in their system. The problem.......is they are still trying to sell the unit for $599.....OK now that you have stopped laughing. He also mentioned that there about 20-25 units left company wide. Which isnt surprising since you could get a Denon 2200 for the same price or less.


Anyway he mentioned that the unit may go disco soon as he sees the new S97 coming. Soooooo if you are looking for an RP91 keep hawking around your local Ultimate and hopefully be there at the right time to get a good price.


Walt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by waltj2k
I was in Ultimate Electronics last evening and saw a Panny RP91 on display. I spoke with a sales counselor and explained that it is a discontinued model.


Today I spoke with the store manager and explained that the unit is discontinued. He explained to me that it hasn't quite gone disco in their system. The problem.......is they are still trying to sell the unit for $599.....OK now that you have stopped laughing. He also mentioned that there about 20-25 units left company wide. Which isnt surprising since you could get a Denon 2200 for the same price or less.


Anyway he mentioned that the unit may go disco soon as he sees the new S97 coming. Soooooo if you are looking for an RP91 keep hawking around your local Ultimate and hopefully be there at the right time to get a good price.


Walt
Well, this or the RP-82 with an Immersive SDI output into a proper SDI equipped processor will eat just about anything out there.

I have an SDI'd 82 and am picking up a 91 that I'll have modded and then will use the 82 as a backup.

Until we get a new DVD video standard, these players with SDI are about as good as it gets.

It sure ate my Camelot pure progressive player. ($4k)

I don't know whether or not Immersive can/will mod the Denon, but if not, I'll put either of the SDI'd Pannys up against it in a hearbeat.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,841 Posts
SDI mods are about $450 if you let a company do it for you. At least that's what Immersive used to charge.



If you choose to do it yourself, and are capable, here is a cheaper way to go:

http://www.pmsvideo.com/index_topic....didpath=/17/61


By the way, let us know when Ultimate gets the RP91 down to a more reasonable price.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy Jr
SDI mods are about $450 if you let a company do it for you. At least that's what Immersive used to charge.



If you choose to do it yourself, and are capable, here is a cheaper way to go:

http://www.pmsvideo.com/index_topic....didpath=/17/61


By the way, let us know when Ultimate gets the RP91 down to a more reasonable price.

:)
Looks like board solder and such. That isn't within my capabilites.


I don't know anything about SDI modification. I will have to do more research. If the mod outperforms something like the Denon 2900 etc then $450 is no biggie. Tom eluded to it out performing a $4k Camelot.


I will be picking up an RP91 from another retailer for $150 so I may not be keeping up with what Ultimate does. If I see a change though of course I will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,841 Posts
>>>I will be picking up an RP91 from another retailer for $150
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top