AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had the toy story 2 ultimate toy box for a while now and im confused to find out its anamorphic , all the while everytime i watch it it comes up in "full screen" wether i watch it on my htpc or my regular dvd plyer, regular tv. is there something im doing wrong , a setting in a menu maybe to get the anamorphic going here?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Need some more info. from you. What kind of TV are you using? What brand and model DVD player are you using?

Yes, the 3 disc Toy Story Ultimate Box set contains both movies in a 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio. Both movies are anamorphic (aka "enhanced for 16:9").

If you are watching this movie on a 16:9 widescreen television, then the entire screen will be filled with the movie image. If you use a 4:3 television, then make sure your DVD player is setup (using the DVD player's setup menu) to output for a 4:3 television. This will allow the DVD player to place the 1.78:1 image within the 4:3 screen and with top and bottom "letterbox" black bars.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using both a front projection system with a 16x9 screen (1:85:1...im not sure) running off an htpc (radeon/w ati player)

and in the bedroom i run a standard sony 32"tv and standard sony dvp3000 dvd player. On my front projection the movie comes up in "full screen ". By this i mean that connected to my computer monitor (which i do before watching any movies for setup) the movie fills the entire "computer screen". This will then be projected as such and be TOO BIG for my screen , cutting the picture off top and bottom. When i view true anamorphic dvds, when i go to set up the pc for viewing, the monitor will show only the middlemost of the computer screen , so when this is projected it wil fit just right on to my screen. i too read on the box that this movie is supposed to be widescreen so i took it into the bedroom and played it on the regular 32" tv/ dvd. The movie also filled my entire 32" 4:3 sony....no bars top or bottom. This is what has me confused ...im sure its some thing im doing wrong but what? and why has the movie defaulted to full screen ?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
16:9= 1.78:1, so yes you have a 1.78:1 screen.

Let's start with your bedroom TV, since this is an easy fix. Since it is a 4:3 television, you must setup your DVD player (in the DVD player's setup menu) to output in 4:3. This will display the movie with the proper letterbox bars. If your DVD player is setup for a 16:9 display it will end up sending the entire video signal to your television and result in a image that fills your entire screen.

With your front projector (don't know the model, but I'm guessing it's a digital projector) you need to setup the DVD player to output to 16:9 which it sounds like you already have since it's displaying the image fully on your computer monitor and then (this is very important) set the projector for "Cinema" mode or similar mode for anamorphic DVDs, and this will squeeze the image down to fit your 16:9 image.

Here's how the Anamorphic process works...

On your 4:3 television, you will gain no benefits from Anamorphic DVDs. Therefore you will set your DVD player to output to a 4:3 format, and thus lose some lines of resolution of the black letterbox bar areas. See pic.
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...orn/4x3lbx.jpg

On your front projector, you can gain 33% more resolution from your Anamorphic DVDs. You setup your DVD player to output to 16:9 and the picture ends up looking like this. See pic.
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...9stretched.jpg

To correct the geometry, now you must select the "Cinema" or similar mode on your digital projector. This will squeeze the image down to 16:9 and thus you will gain the resolution benefits of Anamorphic DVDs. (Your computer screen will still look like picture #2). See pic.
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...x9enhanced.jpg

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.