AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Sony UTV from Circuit City a couple of days ago. I just sent out the two $100 rebates but I believe I have 30 days to make up my mind. Really would not be a problem until I saw this:

http://www.replay.com/partners_products/replaytv.htm

If you were me would you take back your Sony and wait to see what this new Replay is going to do. Those who are Beta testing your input would be invaluable here! I have really liked my UTV so far but would hate to miss out on the newest and greatest for a few days.

Michael:confused:

·
Registered
741 Posts
First of all I don't think you can return the UTV once you've sent away for the rebates, especially if you had to deface the box for the UPC codes and such. But I wouldn't worry about it because it's pretty well known what the Replay is going to do. What you gain with the 4000:
  • Show sharing across the net, assuming you have broadband, your sharee has both a 4000 and broadband, and the networks lawsuit doesn't kill the feature.
  • Watching a show on on 4000 on another in the same house, assuming you have a whole-house network and at least two 4000 boxes.
  • Automatic, hands-off commercial skippage, again assuming the networks don't sue it away. Also assuming it works reliably.
  • 480p and optical outputs, although it doesn't support any form of digital input except whatever content may eventually be available on the web.
  • A poor implementation of keyword based recordings. Better than what UTV has now, but vastly inferior to Tivos offering.

What you lose:
  • video and audio quality and quantity/buck. Divide the stated hours (40-320) by three to get how many best-quality hours the 4000 will give you. Best quaility will still not be as good as UTVs, it will strip dolby digital (since the 4000 must record from a plain DTV receivers analog outputs). Qualities lower than "best" won't even reproduce good stereo or prologic.
  • Decent recording management tools. The 4000 will have the same hairbrained "guaranteed/non-guaranteed", conflict-warning-free, to-do-list-less scheduling debacle that the current 3000 series do. Unless you think you could live without the equivalent of UTVs "My Shows" screen and a channel guide that marks things based on what you asked for, not what will actually record, this alone is enough reason to steer clear of ReplayTV based machines, especially at the 4000s premium prices.
  • The ability to use the machine with a telephone connection. Replay 4000s require a 24/7 internet connection for their guide data.
  • And of course the ability to record two things at once. Like all current standalone machines Replay only has enough hardware to process one signal at a time.

UTV is already pretty much a higher end (and cheaper) machine than the 4000s will be, not even counting whatever it's next release will add. Replays only clear and current advantage over UTV is that it records non-DirecTV sources, and if you need that a standalone Tivo is the much better way to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the help. I feel much better about my purchase now. Someone else told me that it is going to cost $699 for the low end model. That's way too much when it is only going to cost me $249 for the Sony UTV. Does anyone know the pricing for these boxes. Is this $699 correct.

I have a new house with cat5 cabling and thought this might be an excellent way to use this. However, I have Direct TV and like the Ultimate TV. I wish they would do these three things:

1.) Quicker Menu

2.) Record to the end of the actual show (aka world series game last night)

3.) Be able to resize the PIP or move it to different spots.

4.) Make that 4 things (Free)

I have a Sony 53" Big Screen and it has a really cool double picture that splits the screen evenly so you can watch two shows at the same time without them being on top of each other. I would love to be able to use the Ultimate TV to make those two pictures satellite pictures. However it just outputs the one main picture. Anyone know how to output both? This would be great during football Sundays.

Michael:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flfmmqp
Does anyone know the pricing for these boxes. Is this $699 correct.
$699 is the low end model. The pricing goes up to $1999 for a 320 hour model. You can confirm this on the Replay website.

Don't count on these things actually making it to the market. All the major networks are now suing SonicBlue to stop their release due to the copyright issues of sending shows from box to box.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Staind:

Thanks for the info. I will try this rebate out as it doesn't look like any of the other ones I have. At least the address. I think this line is going to exclude me though:

Offer valid for DIRECTV Receivers with UltimateTV service purchased 10/1/01 to 12/31/01 from a participating retailer

and is not valid with any other UltimateTV-related offers.

On second thought one is a Microsoft rebate and the other is a Sony rebate. This one is an Ultimate TV Rebate. I think this might work. Yeah! I'll let you know in 8-10 weeks if I actually get all $300 back. Gotta go make another copy of the sales receipt!

The two previous rebates asked me for a UPS number but I didn't see one. Usually it is just a box you cut out but the box didn't have one. I cut out the shipping label that has the access card number and some other stuff on it. Do you think this will be okay?

Michael

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would anyone pay $2000 for something like this. It seems as though Tivo and Ultimate TV are somewhat close to this Replay TV. When you spend that kind of cash you should expect it to not be obsolete in 1 year. Just like my Big Screen. I knew it wasn't the latest (no HDTV) but I knew it was a Sony and that HDTV would not be catching on for a while. Too expensive for Joe Consumer and Joe TV Stations.

Thanks for everyones help and input.

M!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.