AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spoken with a lot of ppl that have new p4 and now the ultimates are not accepting the cards. Does anyone have any info on the access card problem?:confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Got mine last week and installed in about 5 mins. Locals din't come back until I called the 800 number on the paper and then everything was normal.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I'd heard about all the fear involving P4 cards and UTVs...

I expected I'd see some issues with at least one of my UTVs (I have four).

Had to have DTV resend my locals, but otherwise no big problems for me.

I did have one UTV that gave me an "insert valid card" warning. This happened maybe a week after the swap. I simply pulled the card and reinserted it. No problem after that... If it happens again. I'll start getting concerned.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several of my friends that own the 490's have swapped to the new cards and their units have went into this neverending loop where the machine starts up and then shuts down and then restarts. Its like the units are reading the cards but there is not info telling the unit what to do so it restarts, thus, creating this cycle. One guy that recieved his new card though, his unit showed the "insert valid access card" error, and even new access cards did not work. Does anyone Know if this is direct tv's problem or rca's?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dreaming_in_hd
Several of my friends that own the 490's have swapped to the new cards and their units have went into this neverending loop where the machine starts up and then shuts down and then restarts. Its like the units are reading the cards but there is not info telling the unit what to do so it restarts, thus, creating this cycle. One guy that recieved his new card though, his unit showed the "insert valid access card" error, and even new access cards did not work. Does anyone Know if this is direct tv's problem or rca's?

Just curious, not accusing, but the swap did require the user to read the instructions and/or follow the on screen direction to swap in and out the old and new card several times. I wonder if those who have had problems beyond locals did not properly remove, insert, remove, insert, blah blah.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a big possibility that question was raised in another forum but no-one could give a decent answer as to what was happening so i decided to post here because of the faith that i have in the knowledge of the members here.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

For those that swap the Access Cards. You can't really mess up the process... The process mentioned on the flyer with the cards mentions to

Insert New Card/Insert Old Card/Insert New Card

This process starts the "Card Swap" feature on your DTV.

For those who know better... (Or just want to insert the new card and be done with it) you can manually begin the process by selecting "New Access Card" (or something similar) from the Menus. The old card will be read... prompt for new card... your done...

Since I screwed one of my UTV's card readers (ALWAYS REMOVE ACCESS CARD BEFORE OPENING CASE) I avoid any unrequired card pulling. I inserted my P4 at an angle because the reader pops UP when the old card is removed... I got lucky and didn't need to open up my UTV for this card swap.

If your getting an "Insert valid Card" error. Check your card was/is valid (Did it work before? Check Preview channels ie 100)

Check the card is in the correct slot facing the right way...and is pushed in all the way.

You should hear some gentle resistance (metal contacts) when inserting the card.

Check your Access Card Reader. Compare the Access Card Reader with the Smart Card Reader. The Contacts should look the same but be further back... If they don't look the same you might need to get under the hood. (Pull that ACCESS CARD first.)

If your uncomfortable with opening the case DTV customer service might be able to help.

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Apparently they are matched to your receiver... if you have more than one they tell you to match old for new..

If you arbitrarily pick up a P4 card it not likely it will work in your receiver.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I replaced the cards in my two RCA 490 UTV's yesterday. Everything was fine. Had to call to get locals up and running again, but no real problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You really need to be in "settings", otherwise it says "insert access card".

All went well--also lost local channels and had to call up and have them reset.

ddsdave

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
I replaced my card and went out to get luch and run som errands. When I got back the locals were there waiting for me. Since I knew the locals were going to disappear right after the card swap and I hate talking on the phone I decided to give my unit time to fix itself and it did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ddsdave
All went well--also lost local channels and had to call up and have them reset.
*grin* That seems to be the most common issue; so much so that the 800 number provided even does this resend automatically if you go through the options. I changed the cards as it described, everything except locals, called the 800 number... and they came back. Simple :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine came last week (one for my UTV, the other for my Hughes) and it was clearly marked on the sheet, which P4 card replaced what HU card.

No trouble at all. I swapped them around 5:30 PM and by 8:00 PM my locals were on (really didn't know they were missing until I read other posts)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't had a problem with the actual swap and reloading of channels on any of my 6 DTVs (2 RCA UTVs, 3 Sony UTVs, and 1 RCA DTV).

However, and I've had this happen on EVERY UTV...if the receiver suffers a power loss, then I get an "Insert valid access card" message, and the receiver is locked and WILL NOT record anything. To fix it, I just have to pull the access card and reinsert it. But...until I do that, the receiver is useless.

I know I could put them on a UPS, but with 5 UTVs in 4 different rooms, that's an extra expense that's a real annoyance.

According to DTV customer service, I'm the only one with this problem, and since it only happens to the UTV units, they're washing their hands of it, even though it never happened with the previous cards....

Chas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed to P4 cards on both my UTV and Mitsubishi HDTV receiver. The UTV box lost the locals for about 30 minutes, the HDTV receiver did not lose them. The locals on UTV first worked for about 2 minutes with the new P4 card, and then were gone for the 30 minutes. I did not call DirecTV.

John

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chasmm

According to DTV customer service, I'm the only one with this problem, and since it only happens to the UTV units, they're washing their hands of it, even though it never happened with the previous cards....

Chas.
Well some directv people are brain dead .... :rolleyes: I had the same problem you described with one of my rca utv's the other was fine. I had to re-seat the access card too! I also had directv give the receiver a hit.. not sure this made a difference or it was pulling the card? Been ok for some time now any way :confused:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chasmm

Chas.
One possible reason for their indifference could be that it is their fault. There are still people out there hacking the HU cards and as a result, DTV still sends down the occasional ECM to combat the problem. The current UTV software isn't optimized for the P4, so that's why you are seeing the problems on your UTV's. I am sure the reason for the new beta software that was discussed here a month or so ago is to eliminate alot of these P4 issues. Just a bit of speculation on my part, but it seems like a reasonable explanation. Eventually the beta software will be released and your problems should disappear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
FWIW, I replaced the access cards on my UTVs without any major problems. One of the UTVs went into "Searching for sat signal..." after the swap, but that may have been due to my multi switch going bad. Other than that, so far so good.

Sean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.