AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, the day I've dreaded has finally come. One of my UTV's is seriously flaking out. This is weird. I went to start a show in My Shows and it did indeed start, but after the video for it came up the box just spontaneously rebooted itself. When it rebooted it wasn't the usual flashing of all lights. The green power light flashed for about 5 minutes then finally stopped. I was able to turn the unit back on and even get back to My Shows and try to start the show again. Damn thing crashed again. Same deal with the power light. I unplug the unit for 20 minutes. When I plug it back in same deal with the green power light for 5 minutes. Get back up everything looks fine, try to start show, crash again. Think my hard drive has gone bad? My other UTV is just fine, so it's doubtful it's the multi-switch, although I haven't tried swapping the cables between the two yet. I'm about to go to bed, so I'm figuring I'll unplug it, then plug in back in tomorrow morning when I get home. I had noticed lately that sometimes while watching a recorded show that the video would flake out for a second or two sometimes with pixel garbage. But usually for no more than a second and maybe only once every other day or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well, i think you answered your own question. if the other utv is ok, then swap cables and see if that fixes it. if not, is heat a problem? try resetting the unit.. i prefer 32768 over 12357 (seems to be more thorough). If none of this helps, then you probably do have a bad sector on your drive (did you jar or bang the receiver?). You could try unlocking the drive.. run a hard drive utility to identify/flag bad sectors and then download the OS software again. It's probably not necessary to change the drive per se unless you are really unlucky or want to upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
592 Posts
In your post all of the crashes occured when you tried to play a particular show from My Shows. What about play back of a different recorded show? Can you bring up the guide, and can you watch live TV? Can you pause live TV and skip forward/backward? Can you record another show, and then watch it from My Shows? It's possible that just that particular recording has a problem. Might be a bad disk sector or something else. But before taking any action you should first narrow down the problem to either that specific recording or all recordings.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good suggestions... :D

Well for the first time I agree that it likely to be the drive... this is when you wish you had another drive just to pop in just to check it out and eliminate the drive and also unlock old one so you can test it.

One of the reasons I've unlocked my old drives and keep them handy..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I wasn't more detailed, Like I said at the end of my post I was going to bed. I left it off all night. Just turned it on. Before trying to play the recorded show in question again, I did the following and here are the answers.

1. Yes I can use the guide.

2. Yes I can switch channels.

3. Yes I can play another recorded show.

4. Yes I can use all transport on live TV or another recording.

Now, can I play the recording in question this morning? NO. Damn thing rebooted again. So, I've deleted that program. I thought the others were fine, but I had tried one lower down in the list. I just tried to play the next one in the list and it started, but then the screen went black and it rebooted. So, it wasn't just the one program. It was the the two latest recorded programs that totaled 4 hours. The other 8 hours of recordings on the box will start fine. There have been no tuner failures in "History", so I'm assuming my hard drive has bad sectors. :(

Want to know the worst part? We dropped our land based phone line months ago in favor of using a cell phone as our home phone. So, even if I go buy a new drive to replace that one, I can't do the upgrade without getting a land line installed again. One of my two UTV's has the extended service plan through CC. I'm calling now to see if the serial number on this box matches that plan with my luck the plan is probably for the other box.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This an original 35 hour drive ... how many months on this drive if so?

I had a case were one show was toast and created problems but after I removed it all was well. Don't recall the specifics, was just glad at the problem went away... ;) also previous build..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just called CC and this box is covered under their service plan. I wonder if I should go ahead and get pissed now though. I did a search after my post and before going to bed last night and found someone ranting about CC and a UTV repair. They were talking about it taking forever, which doesn't surprise me, as these boxes haven't been manufactured for months so parts are hard to come by.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I had to call a different number from the satellite service number to find out if the serial number of this box was the one under the service plan. I just now got off the phone with the service folks and they said that they will be advance shipping me a replacement UTV and to send this one back postage paid in that box when it gets here. :)

I was under the impression that CC no longer had any UTV's in stock and wouldn't because as I said they haven't been maufactured in a while. So, that begs the question, did RCA start producing these again or was there a spare UTV lying around somewhere? LOL

·
Registered
524 Posts
Before you ship it and since your going to loose everything on your hard drive anyway

You might do a menu 411 first to see if the command mode interface is still working.. turn unit on and see stats.. memory, etc

Then...

do menu, menu, then 2355 2355 and wait till the lights stop flasing.. 20 mins... I would say..

Good luck..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we're going to watch the stuff we can then delete them, but I'm going to leave the offending recording on there so when they go to test it they can recreate the crashing. Otherwise, I would do the complete erase code 23552355, which by the way I first informed everyone about in a post on this forum back in April. :) As for the 411, yes the command mode interface is still working properly.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well just remember your going to gets someone else's unit that may not be a pristine as yours.. And since you are the authority on the 23552355 code than I am sure you must be dieing to try it. :p

As for the vendor testing you unit... well I think that's wishful thinking on your part.. ;) they likely to just pop a new drive in check and ship.. as some tech sits there all day testing and rebuilding drives.. :D

Besides you may save someone else in this forum a few dollars who doesn't have a service contract in this case.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I could care less if anyone sees what I've been watching. This box was mainly used for hockey games, so most of the listings in History will be Dallas Stars games and two or three assorted sitcoms. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Don't forget that if you decide to replace the drive or upgrade your replacement box, you don't need to get "a land line installed again". You just need to take it to a friend's house and borrow their phone for a couple of hours while the download takes place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had exactly the same problems as deepthinker. However, when i unplugged the unit (Sony) and plugged it back in it wouldn't power up. I didn't zap it with static, btw.

It's still under warranty, but before I send it to a service center, I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could do to fix it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Same problem here too, Didn't do anything to my box, loyal and legal subscriber, well ventalated, 50% full disk, nothing out of the ordinary. Just came home yesterdy, and it was acting funny, locking up and it rebooted a couple of times, came back and all My Shows were gone :( Finally it would refuse to come on all together. No reset codes worked, not even the jenny code to download the software. (just displayed the old "needs to be repaired or replaced before you can use it")

Only thing i can put together is a crashed HD or, more hopefully, just bad sectors. I put my 40 GB back in (replacing the WD 120) and it downloaded the software no problem, came back good as new. Right now I'm clearing the security on my 120 so i can low-level it and mark the errors in my PC, hopefully saving me having to purchase a new HD.

But it was as least good to know that the UTV is ok, though it does seem very odd that several people's disks are going bad all at once.

Anyone have thoughts?

-Mortt

·
Registered
17,585 Posts
Those of you having trouble, were your hard drives upgraded or stock? If there's a connection either with them all or mostly stock hard drives or upgraded drives maybe we can figure out why they're going bad all at once. If they're the stock drive, then maybe the unit as origionally built is extremely flawed and has a very short lifespan. If they're the upgraded drives, maybe we're encountering a bad lot from Western Digital. Perhaps these are all a certain model drive or the units were all purchased about the same time. Any info may help to determine if there might be a product or component defect that somebody oughta be responsible for even if the units have been discontinued. Who knows, there might be a preventative measure that someone who matches that catagory can do to keep the same thing from occurring to them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My failing box was purchased in January of this year. My other UTV that works just fine was purchased last May, so it's about six months older than this failing box. They both have the stock Seagate hard drives.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.