Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I have been a faithful visitor to the avsforum.com UltimateTV thread. And now I am in need of some big time help.

I did the hard drive upgrade and it worked flawlessly. I finally got around to re-installing the old hard drive to format it according to Noobie937's instructions, this worked flawlessly also. Now, I had a 40GB HD for use in one of my computers - Cool! So now, I get back to the point where I re-install the 120GB Western Digital Drive and it starts to do its thing, I wait for it to down load 273 of 274 274 of 274 and so on and I get ready to move the unit and one of the coaxial cables accidentally touches something in the system and I hear a pop sound. I Say to myself "Oh Nooooo" Not my Ultimate TV unit!!!" (All had gone so well up to now) In any case, I reboot the unit, it comes up and I get all the Menus but no Data from the Satellite Dish. I figure I burnt out the LNB's. So I proceed to check the other receivers in the house, they all work. I then remove a receiver from another room and plug it in and it works on this connection. Now I KNOW I zapped my receiver - Damn!! I am hoping someone here has a Link to sites that can repair these units. I do not want to spend the $200 and buy a new one. My wife is pissed already. It was just a simple mistake and I am hoping it does not cost me dearly.

Any support you can offer or any links for repair shops will be greatly appreciated.

P.S (Please!! I am going through withdrawls - help me!! :()

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you have a Circuit City and a Best Buy in your area, you can get a new UTV for free after a mail in rebate. My local CC has UTV's for $179 with a mail in rebate for $100. Best Buy has UTV's for $99, no rebate. Go to CC and tell them you want a UTV, but you want them to pricematch the BB price. They will and you still get the $100 mail in rebate. You have to hurry though, the CC rebate is only good for UTV's bought before 6/15. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Those rebates are only for new customers (atleast thats what it says on the website)...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
really, Mike?

$99 at BB, right? I guess I could get CC to pricematch because I hate BB guts...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can get these over there, I will take one right now!!!

Ship me one :) I have checked our local Best Buy and they don't even have new ones.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jerry Roy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the protection plan - The do not cover the Ultimate TV unit according to the Tech who visited my house yesterday.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CoG -- I'd recommend verifying that from DTV -- I can't see how this could be the case, as they were trying to sell it to me when I added my 2nd UTV receiver.

Also, I believe have read many posts where people have received replacement UTVs from DTV with this plan.

Doug.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Absolutely not true!! If anyone at DirecTv tells you the UTV is not covered under the yearly protection plan, ask to speak to a supervisor. It is covered, but you may need to be persistent.

I have had 2 UTV's replaced under this plan, so it is covered!!! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the protection plan also and have not done an upgrade because of that little "Warranty is void if this seal is broken" sticker. Are you able to open that box without breaking the seal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greenhalghm
Put the old drive back, order "DIRECTV Protection Plan $5.99/mo. or $59.90/yr. ", then tell them it's busted.
I have also had a DirectTV person suggest that I buy the protection plan to replace the receiver when we were having the spot beam problem. She thought it was a problem with the UTV unit and suggested this route to get it replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DTV offered me the protection plan yesterday when I had my UTV unit installed. My understanding was that the UTV unit would be covered. I did not get this coverage as I bought the CC warranty for $60, which is for 5 years and covers lightning (which I need here in Florida).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have had 3 UTVs replaced under the DTV protection progam - as well as a new nultiswitch, dish repointed twice, and a new cable pulled.

The program is WELL WORTH IT, and blows away the CCity and Best Buy offerings. The store programs don't come to your house and troubleshoot to make the whole system work - the DTV program does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.