AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this may not be the best place to post this, but I'm guessing that more than a few of you out there have one or both of these units. I love my ReplayTV hopelessly, but am intrigued by the two tuner capability of these units.

Does anyone know the high/low points of UTV? I've heard a lot about directivo, but not much of anything about UTV. What about upgradeability of either of these units?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I have owned a DirecTiVo since October 2000 and lived next door to an UltimateTV owner. These are my 2 favorite PVRs still today. It is easy to replace the original hard drive in UTV with a larger drive. Instructions to upgrade can be found in the UltimateTV forum right here. I prefer D-TiVo slightly and since UTV is $10 per month versus $5 or free for D-TiVo, it is the obvious choice for me. I am not aware of any upgrades other than a larger drive for UTV while several things can be done with a D-TiVo. The TiVo community underground and upgrade forums have plenty of information on the possibilities. Since D-TiVo is the preferred PVR by DirecTV and the only one currently manufactured, it is still the only one I would recommend for use with DirecTV. Dr. Strange has a PVR comparison site that shows the pros and cons of each. Save yourself some time and get a D-TiVo, you will be happy you did. It is a great product. I have upgraded several D-TiVos with larger drives and that is pretty easy or I wouldn't be able to do it. Instructions can be found on the TiVo Community forum.

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.