AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you point me to a website or thread that compares and contrasts them. I am trying to decide which PVR to buy.

Are the prices the same?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No, prices are different. A Currently DTivo is cheaper at about $100-150 depending on source. UTV is about $250 and I have no data on Replay.

UTV has two working tuners out of the box. DTivo only has one and a software update is necessary to get both working. The update will occur somewhere between a day and a month or so after purchase depending on your luck of the draw (their update system is phone based and limited to so many calls per day).

Both are good units and most owners swear by their unit, regardless of brand.

DTivo has better recording options (Season pass related things), whereas UTV has PIP, WebTV, and two working tuners. Some like the UTV interface better and others the DTivo.

I am unaware of whether Replay has two tuners or not (I believe it does not). For many, this is a show stopper issue for without it, one cannot watch one program and record a second different program.

DTivo has been around longer and has more users. They also have $ problems with their financials. MS is playing catch up with UTV but has deep pockets.

Ed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ultimate TV is a lot quieter than TIVO but the guide and menues seem to be a tad on the slow side.

------------------

I now have 2.0. Life is good.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The slow menus are a good comment, although I have heard some say DTivo has some issues here.

The biggest difference most initially see is the channel surf speed being slower on UTV/DTivo as compared to a standard DirecTV receiver. On the other hand, the feature list is so good for both, one quickly forgets this and just smiles a lot when approaching the TV.

Either will completely change the way you watch TV.

Ed

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have a couple more questions.

I will be using this PVR with digital cable so do all of them work with cable/OTA. I will not be using it with any dish system.

What are the monthly/lifetime fees for them? Do all 3 have these fees?

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have DirecTv (or want DirecTv) and get your locals through the dish then you should compare DirecTivo and UTV. If you cannot get your locals through the dish or want to record from cable/OTA and a dish then you have to look at the stand alone Tivo or Replay.

As far as the dual tuners and DirecTivo. Everyone will be updated within three to four weeks. And for some reason it seems that new customers are getting it faster than older ones. So it is a moot point that UTV has an advantage of the dual tuners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:

I will be using this PVR with digital cable so do all of them work with cable/OTA. I will not be using it with any dish system.

What are the monthly/lifetime fees for them? Do all 3 have these fees?

If you are only going to record off of cable/OTA then your only choices are a stand alone Tivo or ReplayTv.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:

That's a UTV conversation killer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif UTV and DirecTivo are both Satellite only systems... Your choices are now: single tuner Tivo and single tuner Replay

The only way you'll be able to record two stations is by owning two units http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ...Between non-directv units, Tivo is probaby the way to go... Replay is trying to get back into the market with their new fangled machines but they're in the $700 range (but wow, they've got a really sweet feature list - tho still only one tuner)

good luck,

riz

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can weigh in on ReplayTV. With its recent acquisition by sonicblue, it's got bigger pockets and should be around quite awhile.

Also, ReplayTV has a new unit (RTV 4000) which can networked in your home and to your cable modem/dsl connection to obtain listings through the net rather than through a dial-up connection. It will also let you SEND shows you've recorded to others who have an RTV 4000. Also has a commercial skip feature. The new units are a little pricey, but have great features.

The older units (only available as a panasonic showstopper now) are much cheaper ($299 after rebate) and INCLUDE lifetime programming updates.

Good luck!

Derek

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would stay away from TIVO. About a year and a half ago, I spent $500 on a TIVO with one tuner and only 10 hours of record time.I hated it. Set up was a pain. It tied up my phone line for I don't know how many hours downloading the program data. Then after it was finished, the guide didn't include any of the PPV, HBO, or Sunday Ticket channels. But it did include data for local stations in other parts of the country that I couldn't receive. Plus it caused a major loss of picture quality on my cable channels. Then to top things off, the modem must have been defective. Because it never made the daily call it was supposed to update the program guide. Needless to say, I got rid of that thing in a hurry.

Last week I bought an RCA Ultimate TV unit for $249 (after a $50 rebate) from Best Buy. I love it. Duel tuners, 35 hours of recording time. Set up was a breeze. The program guide has info on all the channels. And no tying up my phone line to download data. Does everything it's supposed to do.

If you already have a DTV system with a duel LNB dish, the purchase of an $80 multi-switch, will enable you to use both tuners on the Ultimate and your older receivers at the same time. No need to change dishes or string more wire from the outside. It's awesome. I can't say enough good things about this Ultimate receiver.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Snopple:
<SNIP>

If you already have a DTV system with a duel LNB dish, the purchase of an $80 multi-switch, will enable you to use both tuners on the Ultimate and your older receivers at the same time. No need to change dishes or string more wire from the outside. It's awesome. I can't say enough good things about this Ultimate receiver.
Uh, maybe you missed this...
Quote:

------------------

Brett

·
Registered
32 Posts
Snopple, you're comparing apples and oranges. A standalone Tivo is more complicated to setup, but that's because they can record from a variety of sources. They have to take into account dish, cable services and broadcast networks from all over the country. A DirecTV receiver with Tivo doesn't have that requirement. It sets up in minutes and offers all the same quality and recording time benefits as UTV.

Quote:
About a year and a half ago, I spent $500 on a TIVO with one tuner and only 10 hours of record time.I hated it.
You must mean a 14 hour Tivo, there was never a 10 hour Tivo. I purchased my first 14 hour Tivo two years ago and loved it. I purchased a 30 hour and then purchased a DirecTV with Tivo receiver as soon as my local channels became available on DirecTV. I have never had any problems with any of my Tivo equipment.

Quote:
Then after it was finished, the guide didn't include any of the PPV, HBO, or Sunday Ticket channels. But it did include data for local stations in other parts of the country that I couldn't receive.
Initial setup on standalones is now much faster, although it still requires longer than with satellite simply because there are so many options and you can't download guide data over the dish. Even at that, I found the process well organized and straightforward even though back then downloading and indexing the data took a long, long time.

There is an option during setup that allows you to include premium channels, and an option after the setup to exclude all the local channels you don't receive. PPV and Sunday Ticket data is not provided for any standalone PVR. That's a DirecTV issue.

It's a shame you had problems with your Tivo. You missed out on two years of the kind of freedom only a PVR can provide. Glad you're happy with your new purchase.

[This message has been edited by nrc (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
I would stay away from TIVO. About a year and a half ago, I spent $500 on a TIVO

<SNIP>

Last week I bought an RCA Ultimate TV unit for $249 (after a $50 rebate)
LOL...

Hey, I missed this the first time I read your post... you're comparing the price of your Tivo you bought a year and a half ago (a stand-alone model even, which doesn't even compete with UTV), with a UTV you bought last week? Let's see... how much did hard drives cost a year and a half ago, versus last week?

Check out http://www.orbitsat.com/tivo/main.asp for a $99s> deal on the Tivo competitor product to UTV...

------------------

Brett

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:

Can you point me to a website or thread that compares and contrasts them. I am trying to decide which PVR to buy.
Well, here is a partisan comparison provided by ReplayTV.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
One other difference between the DirecTiVo and the Ultimate TV is the availability of a life time subscription. Given that you can pay as little as $60 (after rebate) for a Phillips DirecTiVo after 6 months you'll be saving $10 bucks a month over your Ultimate TV ($60+$250 for the life time subscription = $310 vs. $250 for the RCA Ultimate TV). At the end of the first year, your savings would pay for a second DirecTiVo (4 tuners and two actual programs at a time). Seems like a win to me unless you think the interactive TV and Web TV are worth lots.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom:
Seems like a win to me unless you think the interactive TV and Web TV are worth lots.
Also, PIP (although having two DirecTivo's with a PIP enabled TV could suffice!) and wireless keyboard capability...

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah:
Also, PIP (although having two DirecTivo's with a PIP enabled TV could suffice!) and wireless keyboard capability...
Certainly two DirecTiVos with a PIP TV would give you that plus more (you can switch between 4 recordings with no wait time just think what those not in control of the remote will think during Sunday Ticket).

If you don't use the interactive TV or web TV features, the wireless keyboard doesn't seem that important. With season passes, once they are set one can pretty much ignore them. The TiVo owners I know don't make changes to their programming all that often.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
However with 2 DTivos, you would still have a $5 DirecTV mirror charge and the need for 4 separate cable runs to the TV.

Ed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.