AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the DirecTV w/ UltimateTV system from Circuit City (includes a prof. installation).

I called to schedule the installation and they told me it requires a phone line. I told them I was informed that it did not require one and told them to come install it anyway.

Can anyone confirm that an UltimateTV does NOT require a phone line for SETUP? People on other forums have told me that a phone line is not required to operate the unit, but what about during the initial setup? I know you have to call an 800 number to activate DirecTV, but I can use my mobile phone for that.

Thanks for any help,

Ken

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It was my understanding the DirecTV requires a phone because it calls home every once in a while. You need a phone if you have more than one box because they will deactivate it if you don't allow them both to call from the same phone number.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The first thing my UTV did was dial out to MSNTV to check for a software upgrade, so one may indeed be required at first. When I upgraded the HD in it, there was a lengthy phone call then as well.

But as for normal daily usage, no phone line is required. If it doesn't call DirecTV once a month or so, you will lose your regional sports network and won't be able to order PPV from the remote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently activated a new Sony W60 and I thought that I had the phone line plugged in and I didn't, they still activated it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just do a search for phone line here. You will find MANY posts regarding this, but the correct answer is:

NO, a phone line is NOT REQUIRED!

(only needed to get PPV's convieniently)

-PGPfan

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 2 RCA UltimateTVs, and a standard Sony box. None of them have ever been connected to a phone line. And no problems so far.

I believe that a phone line is only necessary to report back to the Mother Ship when you ordered a PPV. That's all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Hi Guys,

Just do a search for phone line here. You will find MANY posts regarding this, but the correct answer is:

NO, a phone line is NOT REQUIRED!

(only needed to get PPV's convieniently)

-PGPfan

Just did a search for phone line and produced 1 result...this thread :p

Anyway...you all answered my questions.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
77 Posts
Baronken-

Strange that it only turned up this thread.

I've been on this forum for a year or so and seen this very same question asked and answered many times. Perhaps it was in a 'newbie question' thread or something. Anyhow, I'm glad to see that your questions have been answered.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I got my UTV box, I didn't plug it into a phone line because the nearest phone outlook is about 25 feet away and I would have to drag a 25' phone card down the hallway. But I could still plug it in when I needed a phone line to upgrade my hard drive.

After upgrading my hard drive, I thought I'd check out ordering a PPV movie. Even though the phone line is plugged in, the Order button on UTV is grayed out and there is a message indicating some extension at DirecTV I need to call.

So if you don't have a phone plugged in all the time, it's not like you can plug in a phone when you feel like ordering a pay-per-view movie.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a land-line phone, just a mobile phone. I found on the DirectTV website that they charge a $5 surcharge if you order PPV using a phone (instead of the remote). Searching further, I found that you can also order PPV using the program guide on their website with no surcharge.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/PPVLanding.jsp

Since I DO have a cable modem, this presents no problem (well, maybe a minor one in that I have to run downstairs to my computer and access the web :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
246 Posts
You know, baronken, you can access the web from the UTV! Oh, da#n, you need a phone line for that! hahahha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.