AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
As a side note, It might be time for MSUTV to update their "News" links on that link.

Press release: Thomson Multimedia Starts Shipping RCA DWD495RG, Offering Consumers Option to Record up to 70 Hours of Favorite Shows

:D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Staind
As a side note, It might be time for MSUTV to update their "News" links on that link.

Press release: Thomson Multimedia Starts Shipping RCA DWD495RG, Offering Consumers Option to Record up to 70 Hours of Favorite Shows

:D
Given that they have killed the product, I am surprised that they did this much.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A little humorous that the page mentions awards when the product is basically discontinued. Sorta like winning an Academy Award and being told you'll never work in this town again in the same breath. :)

Well, ok...not exactly the same, since they still have UTV products to sell.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's been over a year since the announcement that the UTV division was disbanding and being absorbed into other parts of MS. I know at the time many of us were worried about how long our UTVs would be good.

Since that announcement, we've had the release of 3.5 and 3.7. The UTV is still orphaned, but very much alive. 3.7 has increased my confidence that my UTVs will be quite useable until HDTV PVRs come out.

Kevin

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, HDTV PVRs. How to know when to sell your UTV so you get maximum dollars from the UTV and minimum lag time between the UTV and the HDTV PVR. And from what I have seen we will live in a Tivo world because it looks like Tivo is the only company coming out with one.

·
Registered
17,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schorne
And from what I have seen we will live in a Tivo world because it looks like Tivo is the only company coming out with one.
If you don't care about going to a standalone unit, Sony has a new unit coming to the US sometime soon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Yes, HDTV PVRs. How to know when to sell your UTV so you get maximum dollars from the UTV and minimum lag time between the UTV and the HDTV PVR.
As long as the UTV service is viable, there should be a market for them. Most people don't have TVs capable of HD, so there would be no reason to get an HDTV PVR. Of course, the HDTV PVR will be able to record SD, but if you don't have a high-def TV, why spend the extra money on the receiver?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
If you don't care about going to a standalone unit, Sony has a new unit coming to the US sometime soon.
I've read about it, but from what I understand, it doesn't have dual-tuners. Plus, for SDTV I like how UTV and DTivo record the direct stream without loss of quality.

Last week I did pick up the new Samsung DirecTV HDTV receiver as an open box at BB for only $270! This is the first I've seen HD on my TV. It is extraordinary, but not so great that I could go to watching live TV.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Yes, HDTV PVRs. How to know when to sell your UTV so you get maximum dollars from the UTV and minimum lag time between the UTV and the HDTV PVR. And from what I have seen we will live in a Tivo world because it looks like Tivo is the only company coming out with one.
A couple of ways to look at it. Thanks to experiences with E* I'm in no hurry to be an early adopter. It will be no less than a year before you will see a bug free HDTV PVR anything (just a wild guess). And has been discussed many times before, what actually can get recorded AS HDTV content might be a very small universe, with or without additional fees.

So one way to look at it, you can keep UTV, at least as a spare receiver, until it croaks! :)

And really, it will be several years before an HDTV PVR that will record in HDTV, not just digital, goes below $500 anyway, I would think. Even the HDTV STBs are still in that neighborhood today.

If one is REALLY worried about losing a hundred$$ or two on the resale value of a UTV box, which I suspect most of us here considering HDTV PVRs are not extremely concerned about, you might as well sell today. But in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't hurt to keep one or two around as a backup, like I used to do with my RCA 420s. But those of us with more than 2 boxes might consider parting with the extra boxes before Christmas, JMO.

·
Registered
17,600 Posts
Personally, I plan to get my full money's worth out of my UTV until something truly compelling comes out from TiVo/DTV. I paid less than $100 for my unit, so I have no worries about whether I can eventually sell it or not. I once paid almost as much for a VCR that lasted half the time that I've had my UTV. Actually, I'd say I've already gotten my money's worth, so if in 6 months or a year I have to scrap it, I could live without being able to sell it. I personally live with the idea of enjoying my equipment, not worrying about whether I can eventuially sell it. If you're worried about getting a good price and don't care nearly as much about where you get your service, go ahead and sell. But if you really like UTV, forget about whether you can make money off it by selling it on E-Bay and just enjoy the service as long as you can get it.

That's my $.02.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Ditto!

HOWEVER, on the E* side I wouldn't be so quick to hold on to a 721 if I could get anywhere near what it costed and I were certain I wanted a 921. But then there's a whopping price difference between 721 and UTV, even at full retail. And the unreleased 921 ain't cheap either!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Since I have one DTivo and two UTVs hooked up to one TV as well as an HDTV SAT receiver, when the HDTV PVRs come out it's likely I'll get one. But I'll probably keep one or two of the SDTV PVRs hooked up to record the SD stuff. No sense filling up the hard drive on the HD unit, since HD is going to need 8 to 9GB per hour of HD.

So it looks like I'll be driving my UTVs into the ground. At that time they won't owe me anything. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.