AVS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
@Pradeep2
Motorside out? And hide that pretty carbon fiber cone? Say it isn’t so. ;)
Can get closer to the action. Plus a little more effective enclosure space and no probs cooling the coils. In the darkness its no problem - though definitely wouldn't work with small kids and the exposed wiring.

20180226_204039.jpg

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I was invited to another users home today and he demoed his Danley SH50's.

Best/Worst decision I think I have ever made. So now I need to look into bottom end that will compliment the Danley's
It was an absolute pleasure , from my end. You pulled out a Metallica disc I forgot I even bought, and hadn't even listened to.... the receipt falling out was a clue. :rolleyes: Good stuff.

You're welcome back anytime.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That range is determined prior to applying crossover, and I'm doing my bass management outboard, because letting the AVR do it, with it's 4th order low pass and 2nd order high pass, just wasn't working out. I'm sure somebody can dig in and figure out a reason why what I'm doing is wrong, but I really just don't care. At some point, it would be cool to get a test DVD or something with tones generated in each channel, and I can verify that I'm actually getting the dinosaur stomp channel as is, and if I'm not, I can set the subwoofer output to LFE only and then mix it back into the left/right/subwoofer mashup. Anybody got a good test disc for that? Eventually I'll have to reconfigure all of that when I add the 8" woofers to help out my poor 5" mid-bass drivers.

But now that you bring that up, I think that several hundred Hz window was the combined response. I don't know that the subwoofers don't do that (it's probably close if it isn't), but I'm just not sure that they do, as for whatever reason I didn't save the measurement files anywhere I could find. I do remember them looking like I could cross them over to a couple hundred Hz and at least in amplitude, it had a shot at working, and I was tempted to try it, and maybe even will play with as high as 150 Hz, but I've got all these boxes built for modular 8" mid-bass modules to take the load off of my cute little dinky mains, for when it's time for Rammstein and stuff. :p

But, if I am in error, I will give you a Virtual Internet Hug in apology. Error was not my intent :p

Hey, that there looks pretty darn cool! Have you ever thought about trying it 'push/pull' and see if you get any even order harmonic distortion reduction?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Oh, you can't do that! You can't share a picture like that and not give us some explanation of your setup.
@psyduck103 (dad) has (2) dual 18 vented cabs & (2) single 18 vented cabs. the big boys are tuned around 10hz and the singles are tuned a bit higher, powered by (qsc?) amps (not sure on specifics). room is probably ~2k cubic sq ft.. ~150" silver ticket ALR 2.4 screen, epson 3800, paradigm s8's, marantz 7702mk2, 7.1.4. think that's mostly everything.

another pic with human for scale re: subs

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hey, that there looks pretty darn cool! Have you ever thought about trying it 'push/pull' and see if you get any even order harmonic distortion reduction?
Yeah I've tried a double stack, one regular and one inverted, couldn't tell any difference. However once I go to dual quad stacks, Im thinking of configuring each stack so they face alternate directions along the front wall, so first one points to the right, second one to the left, third to the right and forth to the left. This should give a quasi dual opposed force cancellation. Reason being when going inverted the center of gravity is fairly forward, so to stack four with cones inverted all pointing to the front would not be ideal.

·
Bass Enabler
21,661 Posts
People are almost cultish with subwoofer recommendations.

My buddy and I compared his LMS 5400 in my room to my UM18-22 in the same 21” sealed box. (The LMS5400 is objectively one of the best 18" subwoofers ever made)
I have eight, he has two. We paid the same total amount for our drivers. Total of $2K. We bought our boxes from the same vendor/same box. (Of course I spent significantly more on boxes). At the end of the comparison after neither of us could “hear” a difference he said, ‘tell me why I paid this much more for my drivers again?’

The only difference of consequence we could measure/observe was that a single LMS5400 could handle a couple more dB from my Crown XLS-5000 amp. We could make both subs start to distort with the amp, the LMS just had a couple dB more before it cried uncle. However, when played as a whole, eight UM-18 certainly have more output and uniformity of coverage than two LMS-5400.
This is the difference your friend paid for.

The Ultimax 18 is a great driver and fantastic value.

The LMS Ultra is top-tier driver for top-tier price.

·
Registered
914 Posts
@psyduck103 (dad) has (2) dual 18 vented cabs & (2) single 18 vented cabs. the big boys are tuned around 10hz and the singles are tuned a bit higher, powered by (qsc?) amps (not sure on specifics). room is probably ~2k cubic sq ft.. ~150" silver ticket ALR 2.4 screen, epson 3800, paradigm s8's, marantz 7702mk2, 7.1.4. think that's mostly everything.

another pic with human for scale re: subs
You guys must've swapped drivers at some point in time. The picture I reposted, the single driver, it has a dustcap. In this, it looks like you're running all UM18s.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You guys must've swapped drivers at some point in time. The picture I reposted, the single driver, it has a dustcap. In this, it looks like you're running all UM18s.
yeah, when dad first built them they were not all um-18 drivers, they are now though.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts