AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Viche's idea of using the UB as screen Anyone ever try using Ultraboard as screen , I purchased a 5x10 board about 2 months ago. I finally finished my theater and got some time to evaluate the performance of this board.

Physical:

- The board I bought is a 5x10ft, 1/2" thick, light weight. It has 2 sides in white that can be used as screen. I really like this as I will paint one side with neutral gray and keep one side white. Based on www.ultraboard.com , it is "rigid polystyrene foam core faced on both sides by a smooth, moisture resistant sheet of solid polystyrene".

- According to the manufacture, it will not warp. I have it for 2 months and see no sign of warping.

- Easy to mount. Since it is 1/2" think and quite flat, I just build a good frame (like picture frame) and dropped it in.

- Since it's light weight and solidly flat, I can remove the screen quite easily from the frame just by pushing the board up and pull it out.

Picture quality:

It's very hard for me to judge the quality of a screen as this is my first HT. However, as promissed Viche, I'll give my impression anyway:

So first of all, my HT is not an ideal room for HT. The room was a gameroom upstair with 4 large windows. I built a big stage to "simulate" the HT feel. Lighting is not good during the day. Yesterday, it was cloudy outside. I fired up my Epson 8100 and was so surprised how good the picture was. I expected it to be washed out but it wasn't. The picture was quite bright in "theater" mode and very bright in "dynamic" mode. I contributed that to the Ultra Board ability to handle ambient light (not sure how). I will take the left-over UB piece to my brother HT to test against his Wilson Art screen. Until then, I cannot quantify the difference.

Until that is done, here is a few images showing the UB in action anyway.

This is my HT stage: 12ft wide, 9ft tall, 3ft depth:

This shows the left side of the stage, as you see, 2 large window widely open:

This shows the right side of the stage, again 2 large windows with blind and curtain:

These are 3 of the Gladiator scenes with UB. You may able to spot a little board in the middle of the screen. It is a cheapo white board I bought from Lowes ealier. I chopped a piece to test again the UB. It's hard to see in the photo, but the part of the projected image on that board was washed out whereas the rest of the UB was still has good contrast:

Here are 2 shots with the Ironman:

Anyway, I will do the WA vs. UB comparison later and will post the result here. I'm not a professional when it come to PQ, just my impression.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Cool! I hadn't read this thread until just now. Glad it worked for you. I still havent even bought a projector, as I seem to plan everything forever. The image links are broken. Any chance you can fix them? Also what ever happened to the comparison to the Wilsonart screen?

Anyone else try it yet? Did you paint it or just project onto the surface.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/20651532

what was the cost? Can you use SF on it?

Prices from a website posted in the original thread:
http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/ultraboard.htm

Generally around $60 for a 48" x 96" x 1/2" and $100 for a 60" x 120" x 1/2" but then there's shipping. Someone suggested checking you area for a Pitman store so that you can skip paying for shipping. http://www.pitman.com/aboutus/locations.html

From a chart on their site, Ultraboard is paintable. It's also the same on both sides, so you can leave one side white and paint the other or try two different paints.

Edit: Wow, apparently there are a lot of other boards that are sold for this purpose (from Pitman's website) that might work. I just know we use ultraboard at work and it looks like a good option.

"Pitman provides the widest range of Display Boards from Alcan, Bienfang, United, Gilman, Kommerling, Bainbridge and Crescent. We provide Foam Board, Heavy-Duty Foam board, Plastic Faced Board, Metal Faced Board, Plastic Board and Corrugated Board. Visit our on-line catalog to view the full selection of Exhibit, Mounting & Mat Boards."

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche
Prices from a website posted in the original thread:
http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/ultraboard.htm

Generally around $60 for a 48" x 96" x 1/2" and $100 for a 60" x 120" x 1/2" but then there's shipping. Someone suggested checking you area for a Pitman store so that you can skip paying for shipping. http://www.pitman.com/aboutus/locations.html

From a chart on their site, Ultraboard is paintable. It's also the same on both sides, so you can leave one side white and paint the other or try two different paints.

Edit: Wow, apparently there are a lot of other boards that are sold for this purpose (from Pitman's website) that might work. I just know we use ultraboard at work and it looks like a good option.

"Pitman provides the widest range of Display Boards from Alcan, Bienfang, United, Gilman, Kommerling, Bainbridge and Crescent. We provide Foam Board, Heavy-Duty Foam board, Plastic Faced Board, Metal Faced Board, Plastic Board and Corrugated Board. Visit our on-line catalog to view the full selection of Exhibit, Mounting & Mat Boards."
No shops in AZ
would have to have it shipped if bought through them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche
Maybe the ultraboard people can hook you up with a local distributor?

http://www.ultraboard.com/
Good idea I'll check into it. Which is the best ultraboard to use for a screen? I am going to be painting it and I do like the idea of havign one side white and one painted.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake
Good idea I'll check into it. Which is the best ultraboard to use for a screen? I am going to be painting it and I do like the idea of havign one side white and one painted.
Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186631

There's also a comparison chart on the ultraboard website. I'm not sure which is best, but from those two sources, you might be able to decide. You're kinda a guinea pig here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts