AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My venerable NEC LT150z needs another bulb (it's 5th!). I think the time may have come for me to replace it. All I need is a single VGA input and a serial port for control to connect to my htpc.

Dell is selling the 1409x projector for just over twice the cost of a replacement bulb. It also has a 4000hr bulb life (as opposed to 1000hr on the lt150z). Same resolution, but much better contrast and brightness.

Any comments? Anything else I should consider in this price range? TIA!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just to confirm, your NEC has been out of production for nearly 5 years, do you want another XGA projector instead of something more specifically designed to be a home theater? (if so, keep in mind you may need to update the PC side of the HT & you may have second thoughts about not getting HD at that point).

Tell us a bit more about how you'll be using this so we can match your needs up to what is available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Turns out the 1409x throw distance won't work for me. It's been about 8 years since I've dealt with a pj purchase, forgot all about the fine points!

gwlaw99, not sure what you mean about 4000 hour being a gimmick but thanks for the HC1600 suggestion. I was hoping for a 4:3 projector as that is the size of my screen. Trying to not replace everything!

nomad139, I have been looking for another xga, again to save me the effort of replacing more gear. I actually do run HD through the 150z, works well. Well for an 8 year old projector that is...

What I am finding is that the inexpensive business projectors typically have a shorter throw distance (makes sense for that application). The LT150 had a long enough throw that it could be mounted behind the viewer. I've got mine mounted high, behind a wall projecting through glass.

So, I'm looking at home theater projectors now, looks like I have to go with a 720p projector.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Go for the Mits HC1500 or HC1600 as it has true 1280X720 16:9 ratio, brighter, better CR, HDMI, quieter, better built-in scaler, same throw ratio, better zoom, cheaper 2000h-3000h bulbs ($250-299), 4x color wheel (less rainbows), for $600-700.

I upgraded my LT150 (nonzoom) to HD1000u (older brother of these 2 PJ's) and I love the new PJ.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_anderson /forum/post/15602304

What I am finding is that the inexpensive business projectors typically have a shorter throw distance (makes sense for that application). The LT150 had a long enough throw that it could be mounted behind the viewer. I've got mine mounted high, behind a wall projecting through glass.

The Viewsonic PJ551D (XGA) has a throw that overlaps with the LT150 and may work for your situation. One of the reasons I got it (besides being a cheapskate and the free [still ongoing] bulb offer) was that it had a long enough throw to mount in the same place as the Benq6100 that it replaced. That said, I would go with the Mitsu HC1600 if I had to buy today (and drill another set of holes in the ceiling).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts