AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if there is a very inexpensive subwoofer out there that isn't complete crap. I just completed building a 2/0 system for my parents and it needs a sub, but they don't have much of a budget; I recommended the Acculine A-sub but $230 is too much for them. I know I can get a HTIB or computer-type sub for well under $100, but that will be underperforming compared to the FR drivers. Are there any "in-betweens" in the $100-180 range that would suffice for:

--Home theater: FM radio, computer streaming, and DVD

--Approx 12x14 room

--Don't need excessive bass, but the FR's are crossed at 110 so the sub should be able to fill in the 50-120Hz range adequately. Doesn't need to shake the room, in other words.

--Appearance and subwoofer size are not a concern.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The Velodyne VX-10 is a small, decent performing sub in the ~$150-175 range. It sounds surprisingly good considering its low price. Since you aren't looking to shake the room, I think the VX-10 is a sub to consider.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/15512081

The Velodyne VX-10 is a small, decent performing sub in the ~$150-175 range. It sounds surprisingly good considering its low price. Since you aren't looking to shake the room, I think the VX-10 is a sub to consider.

Ditto.

Ian

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner /forum/post/15512194

Energy ESW-10. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...w-10-overview/

400watts peak. Goes down to 28Hz (-3db). About $150 at various places.

ASW-10 from The Speaker Company is a clone of this one.

where can I get it? I am also looking at replacing my KLH with something more decent for a 11x16 theatre room. Between this and the Velodyne, which one is prefer. I have seen the Velodyne for around 150.

·
Registered
962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen /forum/post/15512258

where can I get it? I am also looking at replacing my KLH with something more decent for a 11x16 theatre room. Between this and the Velodyne, which one is prefer. I have seen the Velodyne for around 150.

Amazon. Audio Advisor.

For around $100, the ESW-8 provides response to 33Hz and 200 watts peak. The Speaker Company equivalent is ASW-8.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
save another 50 bucks and you can get a PA-120 (Bic H-100)

well worth it IMO

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
check out used on eBay

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

Quote:

Agreed...love my little VX10.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallobravo /forum/post/15513555

The Speaker Company http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P62C17.aspx And If You Do Not Like It You can send it Back.

Look at the specifications, they can't even get the weight right!

Even so, just get one and if you don't like it you can send it back.

Also, you can't tell if it has one port or two.

These people need to get their act together.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i am in the market for the same price sub. What is the big difference between the energy and the tSC sub? I see that the energy is a 400 watt amp but the tSC has the bash amp. Is there a big difference between these 2? Also if i could get a polk psw110 for the same price is that a better choice? how does the velodyne compare to the energy?

which one would be better for music?

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 /forum/post/15514810

i am in the market for the same price sub. What is the big difference between the energy and the tSC sub? I see that the energy is a 400 watt amp but the tSC has the bash amp. Is there a big difference between these 2? Also if i could get a polk psw110 for the same price is that a better choice? how does the velodyne compare to the energy?

which one would be better for music?

Everything is the same with the two subs. The ASW just does not have the ribs on the surround of the woofer and the aesthetics are slightly different. It's the same amp though but the specs are mis-leading. If you look very closely in how they word things you will see they are the same subs.

TSC is a reputable company selling quality products. There website needs a little work though.

I would stay far away from the low end Polk subs. The ASW is a great music and movies sub. When set up properly it's a damn good sub for the asking price.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I really appreciate the informations. I am almost ready to order it. I am going to go out and audition some more this weekend and will probable make my decision next week. I will come back and post my thoughts when i decide.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Which would you guys say is better the vx-10, the esw-10, or the sub-120 for movies and games?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 /forum/post/15516961

I really appreciate the informations. I am almost ready to order it. I am going to go out and audition some more this weekend and will probable make my decision next week. I will come back and post my thoughts when i decide.

Auditioning subs is a waste of time. The performance of a sub is directly linked to the volume of the room and placement. Understanding and comparing specs would be far more usefull.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman /forum/post/15522074

Which would you guys say is better the vx-10, the esw-10, or the sub-120 for movies and games?

The Sub120 has the lowest extension of the three and the larger 12" driver. The Energy has higher rated amplifier power but without knowing the drivers specs, it's a pretty useless spec to determine output. The Energy plays almost as low. Both of these are superior to the Velo in both LFE and output. Partsexpress also has excellent customer support so if you weigh all three, the edge goes the the Sub120 IMO with the Energy a very close second ( i hate the look of that front port !!!)

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15522311

The Sub120 has the lowest extension of the three and the larger 12" driver. The Energy has higher rated amplifier power but without knowing the drivers specs, it's a pretty useless spec to determine output. The Energy plays almost as low. Both of these are superior to the Velo in both LFE and output. Partsexpress also has excellent customer support so if you weigh all three, the edge goes the the Sub120 IMO with the Energy a very close second ( i hate the look of that front port !!!)

Is there anything better in this price range and is it worth it in a budget system to try and save up and upgrade to the pa-120?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts