AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question, but what is the most economical way to purchase Ultra HD blurays? Is it walking into a local walmart or best buy, or are there any online distribution companies that sell them? I find it very difficult to justify spending 30-40$ on an ultra HD movie that I could rent for a fraction of the price. Just wondering if there is an avenue Ive overlooked.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Nope... Other than when they have sales on excess inventories or older titles, you have no other choice.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quite a few of the deals I have gotten have actually been Amazon pre-orders, several of them have been under $20. Otherwise, just wait. Or if you have any rewards programs, use Amazon points/Best Buy rewards to get them for "free". I drew a line in the sand that I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a UHD Blu-ray and so far all the movies that I want have been that cheap or less.

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I prefer to buy when there are sales in effect. Otherwise, I hold off on purchases, unless it's something new that I just want to buy because I want to watch the BD anyway, as I don't have a player or TV for UHD yet.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but what is the most economical way to purchase Ultra HD blurays? Is it walking into a local walmart or best buy, or are there any online distribution companies that sell them? I find it very difficult to justify spending 30-40$ on an ultra HD movie that I could rent for a fraction of the price. Just wondering if there is an avenue Ive overlooked.

Thanks,
Here is a useful search query to keep an eye on UHD deals:
http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=price&category=4kbluray&covers=10

Although they are not disc based, you could also try purchasing the 4K streaming version of movies from the various providers like Vudu, Itunes. Or you can buy the codes on the AVS classified ad section. Many titles are at lower prices than the disc version. With Itunes you can get a free upgrade of an HD code to 4K, if it is available on Itunes in 4K and if you redeem on Itunes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a useful search query to keep an eye on UHD deals:
http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=price&category=4kbluray&covers=10

Although they are not disc based, you could also try purchasing the 4K streaming version of movies from the various providers like Vudu, Itunes. Or you can buy the codes on the AVS classified ad section. Many titles are at lower prices than the disc version. With Itunes you can get a free upgrade of an HD code to 4K, if it is available on Itunes in 4K and if you redeem on Itunes.
Thanks. GOod idea. The issue is I am on rural internet that is capped at 100gb pet month. I don’t have the bandwidth to download them

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Easiest way I've found is to have a list of what you really want and just check Amazon every 2 to 3 days. Disc prices are like airline tickets in that they don't always follow a pattern of price reduction, if something drops to a comfortable price level for you, be prepared to jump on it. It could go down in price more but it is just as likely to rise back up. Trust your "Spidey" sense. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Easiest way I've found is to have a list of what you really want and just check Amazon every 2 to 3 days. Disc prices are like airline tickets in that they don't always follow a pattern of price reduction, if something drops to a comfortable price level for you, be prepared to jump on it. It could go down in price more but it is just as likely to rise back up. Trust your "Spidey" sense. :)
You could try using camel camel camel. Tracks prices and sends you emails when there are price drops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts