AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Could you take some measurements of this thing for me? Specifically, I would like to know how big the 'fat' end of the lens is, and how long it is.

Thanks!

------------------

Darren Rogers

Please stop reading my signature....

I really mean it, you're starting to get on my nerves!

Listen, I'm not kidding here, if you keep reading, you're gonna regret it!

Look into my eyes, and do not doubt my reslove - if you persist, you will be taught a lesson you will not forget!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Eirikur,

Great site! Do you know if this will work for a JVC G-15? I may need this if my Panamorph-2 doesn't work out.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I am confused. You say that if you want to vertically squeeze the image then you have to turn the panatar around. Isn't that what everyone is doing? How else do you use an 800x600 projector showing an anamorphic video? Don't you have to squeeze the image vertically so that you are using all the vertical pixels? If you don't, people and objects look tall, skinny and out of proportion.

Tim

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode:
Tim,

Panamorph = vertical squeeze

Panatar = horizontal stretch

Reverse them and they do the opposite. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Yikes! my image is already at the edge limits of my screen, does that mean I would need another 33.333 percent increase in screen width? I have the horizontal room dimensions to allow that. It will be wall to wall screen almost but it will fit.

So if I turn the panatar around it squishes the horizontal axis? Kinda like my head in the avatar icon to the left that I can't seem to get right.

Tim

[This message has been edited by TimHuey (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes if you turn the thing around, and place it sideways it will now compress your current image vertically.. Working exactly the same as a Panamorph.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are probably at least 20,000 ultra-panatars out there if not more.. I bet most of them are hiding in boxes in closets of projectionist, sitting collecting dust in small theaters that were contemporary with the lens.. The occasionally show up on e-bay. However I now think that when one does show up, the price will go pretty high from all the renewed interest.. If you can find someone who specializes in used projection equipment you might have some luck. Photography Equipment shows, you might find one. Perhaps at a flea market.. They are out there to be found..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Erikur,

I've seen the numbers you posted regarding the image size exiting your projector. Did you experiment to see what the max size was that the ultra-panatar could take in without vignetting? Or is your data just based on cranking the image down to it's smallest size? The LT155 has a shorter throw than your compaq, but I'm wondering if it still might fit. Of course, you mentioned the reversal trick, which might be a fallback.

regards,

-johann

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last prism is 4" in diameter. the 4.25 of the LT155 would be to large.. I have a hard time getting my 3.5" to work.. It has to be set just right. Your only hope would be running the Panatar backwards. I haven't figured out what would be the max size for this, but I am working on it!

Eirikur

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
So what was the consensus on the LT150 and the Panatar? Would it work or not? The lens itself is quite small, but it's short throw so I don't know how that would affect it.

------------------

/frode

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
I tried the Ultra Panatar with a super 8mm movie the other night and the small apreture of 8mm was still a little to large.

I will need to remove the prisms from the case and try it.

I have no idea how this thing work with 35mm. You had to have a long theater with a very long throw to be able to use this.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently purchased a similar lens--the Hilux VAL (Variable Anamorphic lens). For a description and picture see Hilux VAL auction

This lens is 10" long and about 5.5" in diameter so it looks like the image size constraints are even more severe than with the Ultra Panatar. With my LT150 the image is severely cut off. If I shrink the image with YXY to display 4x3 on my 16x9 screen and then try the lens it just about works (I had to hold it by hand so couldn't really get it right). It looks like the image would need to be less than 3" square 8" from the lens for this to work.

Frode, I suspect this means the LT150 won't work with the Ultra Panatar either (I would be interested in feedback from someone who has an Ultra Panatar and an LT150 though). Too bad for us.

If there is anyone in the Monterey Bay or San Francisco Bay area who has a projector that would meet the image size constraint described and would like to give this lens a try let me know.

P.S. Some more details about the lens: it has two adjustable prisms controlled by knobs on top of the lens (with adjustable stops). It is corrected for over 300ft (it actually didn't look that bad, but I couldn't do any critical viewing). The seller mentioned that it was used in drive-ins. As it said in the auction it also came with a B&L Super Cinephor backup lens 146mm f1.8. This didn't appear useful in my configuration.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The LT150 won't work with the Super Panatar either. Since the Super Panatar has a larger aperture than the Ultra Panatar I would suspect that the short throw of the LT150 makes this little projector a difficult match for anamorphic optics that expand the image.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.