AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time deciding between a HK AVR8000 and the new Denon Receiver. I love Logic 7 and am thus attracted to the HK. But it is currently not offered with Ultra2 certification (will this be an upgrade in the future?).

Should I get the Denon for the ULtra2? I love THX EX and would like to have the latest in DSP, but is Logic 7 all I will need for the forseeable future?

Please weigh in between the two...:confused:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well with the AVR8000 you will need to buy an additional 2ch amp to get 7.1 since it only has 5 internal amps.

I have never heard Logic7 but I do have the Elite 49TX and I use ULTRA2 for almost every 5.1 movie. I think ULTRA2 does a great job of creating a wider surround field and it filling in that area behind your head with sound.

The AVR8000 won't ever have ULTRA2 cert since that is for 7.1 receivers, and it is only 5.1. Also I don't think HK would want to add something that would compete with their Logic7. For ex. if Dolby created receivers they prolly wouldn't include DTS Neo:6 because that competes with DPLII, or you won't see Sony include support for DVD-Audio into their products since that competes with their SACD format.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have Ultra2 and I like it for reasons already stated. I think that 7.1 setups are the way to go for movies with DD EX and DTS ES. Hence the 8000 is two amps short.

Logic 7 has such an excellent reputation that I would give it a listen if possible. Many prefer it to PL II.

I suggest that you listen to the Pioneer VSX-47TX, VSX-49TXi, B&K 507 for Ultra2 and the Denon 5803. The Denon is not a clear winner in comparison to the machines listed IMO. Your ears can help make the decision; it's your preferences that matter. The machine chosen should also be able to drive your speakers with ease.

Bill

·
Registered
244 Posts
Apples and Oranges.

Personally, I prefer Sony's Digital Cinema Sound modes to either of them for movies. I like dts NEO:6 for music. But that is my ears listening to my speakers in my room. YMMV.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had a Lexicon DC-1 with 7 channels for a few years and just switched to the B&K 507. The Logic 7 for 5.1 is very good but everything I have read and now confirmed is that Ultra2 is as good as or better. I doubt you would notice the difference unless you listened to the same material back and forth switching directly between them.

Let me note that at least with the B&K there is no Ultra2 mode. It is not a selectable mode like THX or Logic 7 on the Lexicon. I don't know if the Denon is the same or not. I will say that the BIGGEST difference is going from 5 to 7 channels. Plus there is little material with ES surround. joe

·
Registered
117 Posts
It appears from my quick checking that the Pioneer VSX 47 TX is the cheapest with the ultra2..Does anyone have it? Also, does it upconvert s-video and composite to component so only one wire goes to projector?

Also, will this unit automatically select the proper mode to go into or do you have to select it for the source?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.