AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29
As anyone tried any of ultrecht's artist canvas materials for screens?
Actually, the use of Artist Canvass is a pretty well known, if indeed older application.

Over time, the predominant usage involved Normal/Medium Weave Canvass that was coated with Artist Gesso, sanded smooth, the one type or another of Paint was either Rolled or Sprayed onto it.

...or even Brushed on, by golly! Eh Bud? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635968

Now days...., for a bit more than Black Out Cloth, you can get 72" tall x 6 Yrd Artist Canvass....that's been pre-primed and made "ultra smooth" for about $140.00.

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...cfm?item=38036

That's well within reason if compared to any similarly sized "Board Material' of which there is almost nil such available.

Such material could make a 66" x 117" Screen (135" Diagonal) and still have enough left for a 54" x 96" (110" screen)

That's allowing for 3 Inches extra material on the edges all around to accommodate Stretching/Stapling the material onto whatever Frame is made.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20875304

Actually, the use of Artist Canvass is a pretty well known, if indeed older application.

Over time, the predominant usage involved Normal/Medium Weave Canvass that was coated with Artist Gesso, sanded smooth, the one type or another of Paint was either Rolled or Sprayed onto it.

...or even Brushed on, by golly! Eh Bud? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635968

Now days...., for a bit more than Black Out Cloth, you can get 72" tall x 6 Yrd Artist Canvass....that's been pre-primed and made "ultra smooth" for about $140.00.

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...cfm?item=38036

That's well within reason if compared to any similarly sized "Board Material' of which there is almost nil such available.

Such material could make a 66" x 117" Screen (135" Diagonal) and still have enough left for a 54" x 96" (110" screen)

That's allowing for 3 Inches extra material on the edges all around to accommodate Stretching/Stapling the material onto whatever Frame is made.

Thanks, I figured some people must have tried it. I saw both the primed and unprimed material and both looked pretty cheap.

Do you have any idea if people have done testing (and written about it here or elsewhere) of it's characteristics in a screen-sense, ie color neutrality, gain, AT properties if any, etc? I couldn't find much.

Thanks as always,

Rukus

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 /forum/post/20876501

Thanks, I figured some people must have tried it. I saw both the primed and unprimed material and both looked pretty cheap.

Do you have any idea if people have done testing (and written about it here or elsewhere) of it's characteristics in a screen-sense, ie color neutrality, gain, AT properties if any, etc? I couldn't find much.

Thanks as always,

Rukus

I'd say few if any have ever used canvass "as is", but to my knowledge few have ever tried using canvass that was already pre-primed and determined to be "ultra-smooth".

Basic assumption would tend to suggest the surface might well be just as good or even possibly better than would be the coated side of any naked Black Out Cloth. But...if it was only "as good as" and "no better than", I could hardly suggest that it would be the preferred material to use over BOC, what with the latter being significantly less expensive per yard.

Rosebrand sells BOC in sizes (widths) that run out to 110" too. 72"s is the limit for such Artist Canvass.

Be advised that BOC is at best .90 gain...and neither BOC or canvass have ANY AT capability whatsoever.

Most likely the Primed Canvass would produce a brighter image "as is" than would the BOC...but that is speculation based on any white primer being more reflective than is the coated surface of BOC. That much is a given proof.

But as I mentioned above, applying a suitable coating to either substrate will drastically improve the equation...be it anything from a known White to a high performance Gray.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
MM,

Slightly off topic.....

That Ultrecht material 135" would be decent for someone that wanted to use it outdoors.

What material have you seen, that is one piece that would give a much larger outdoor screen?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/20878610

MM,

Slightly off topic.....

That Ultrecht material 135" would be decent for someone that wanted to use it outdoors.

What material have you seen, that is one piece that would give a much larger outdoor screen?

This stuff from Rosebrand:
http://www.rosebrand.com/product34/B...-FR.aspx?tid=7

......comes in 110" wide by "whatever" lengths. Subtracting 6" for attachment leaves 104" wide.

A piece cut to 191" (inclu extra 6") would provide for a 212" Diagonal screen

Not big enough?

How about 122" Wide?
http://www.rosebrand.com/product2780...tion%2bFabrics

With the last stuff, the "Diagonal Image" potential expands out to 237"

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
MM,

Sweet!!

That is what I was looking for.

Time for a project to get started for this fall.

Any idea how the picture quality will be, compared to lets say, a big old piece of canvas?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/20882801

MM,

Sweet!!

That is what I was looking for.

Time for a project to get started for this fall.

Any idea how the picture quality will be, compared to lets say, a big old piece of canvas?

Considering that the surface you'd project on would be immeasurably smoother than Canvass, and have significantly higher gain than would Canvass, I'd venture to say.....

.......the difference would be immeasurably significant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.