AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my Ultimax 18 kit arrived last week and I was busy getting it all together. :) It didn't go quite as smoothly as I would have liked, but the end result is amazing. Thanks to all those who answered my questions in other threads and through PM's.

I was quite happy to open this bad boy up.

Got all the primary colors here:

Getting there:

Mounting holes drilled and slab nuts installed:

Attaching the last baffle piece:

All sanded down and ready to paint, unfortunately sanding in the garage wasn't an option, but it did give me an excuse to clean my entire place once I was done.

Feet on, wired up, painted, and ready to go:

The finished product:

Closeup of the finish:

I did two coats of roller grade duratex, the first coat was applied with a smooth foam roller. I then lightly sanded it down to knock off the roughness. I thinned the second coat out with a bit of water and applied with the smooth foam roller again. This ended up giving me a slightly textured finish.

I ran into a few issues along the way:

The baffle cutout wasn't large enough to fit the woofer, PE thinks they may have inadvertently shipped me the kit for the HO series subs. I used a dremel to enlarge the hole a bit so that the sub would fit in quite nicely.

I had a few slab nuts that I didn't install straight and couldn't be used. :eeksurprise: I ended up drilling new pilot holes and mounting the driver with coarse threaded wood screws.

I just finished it on Friday and put it in place (previously determined best sub position by doing the sub crawl). Ran audyssey, bumped up the sub level a bit and have been enjoying it ever since. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When will you be ordering your next pair? :)
Well, I'm replacing the couch first, then as soon as I figure out where to put the second one I'll order it. :D

I have the kit with the SPA1200DSP amp and am quite happy with mine. What are you using for power?
A Crown XLS 1502

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice build, enjoy it!

I wasn't surprised to see the poster for The Crow, given your username. ;) Reminds me I need to re-watch that sometime soon.
:) It's my favorite movie of all time. I've owned it on just about every format it's been released on.

Looks awesome!

Nice planted tank btw, what do you have in there? lol
Thanks Spectre, it's a bit of a mess now due to time constraints, but I keep mostly stems and anubias with tetras, rasboras, and red cherry shrimp.

Reactions: Spectre55
1 - 8 of 8 Posts