AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new apartment in the same building. I took my current Comcast cable box from my old apartment, plugged it in and had full cable - HD channels and all.

I called my landlord and asked her if she forgot to cancel her cable/internet service to the apartment, and she explained that she had canceled it about 3 months ago, and that she hasn't received any bills or anything in the meantime.

Am I simply getting all of these channels because of my cable box? Obviously I will have to return the cable box when I cancel my service that is associated with my old apartment, but if I were to get a Tivo HD with a Comcast cable card, could I theoretically drop my cable subscription?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
No!

Any other STB that you purchase will need to be authorized by the cable-co.

If you have a TV with a QAM tuner you could get the unscrambled channels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting - I've never understood how any of this works.

So if I were to bring this cable box to another apartment (or any location for that matter), the same thing would happen only because Comcast specifically authorized my cable box to play those channels?

If I were to obtain a Tivo HD and the Comcast cable cards and then later cancel my cable service, then my cable cards would also be de-authorized in the process, making them useless?

I had always thought that a physical address was authorized to use the service, and thought I had maybe lucked out and somebody forgot to turn off the switch or something :-/...

Well shoot!

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
The cable did not get shut off. That is why the cable box works, because the cable box has not been canceled. If you call and cancel your service the box will be shutdown. If you call and transfer service the box will stay on and you will continue to be billed. If the box is shut down then you will still be able to receive whatever channels you can get with just your TV tuner. Maybe forever, maybe not.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
BlueBomber,

Some apartment houses share a common cable company subscription that provides a certain tier of service among all the apartments. If someone wants a higher tier of service they pay an extra monthly fee for that higher level of service.

Keep in mind that the cable converter box is not owned by you, it remains the cable company's property. Each cable converter box has a unique electronic identification number. When you got your cable service that unique electronic identification number was associated with you and your specific tier of service. If you are subscribed to a higher tier of service than the apartment's common service that higher tier of service continued when you moved from one apartment to another in the same complex because the cable company tracks and identifies you, your account, and your tier of service to that specific converter box. In other words, the cable company continues to provide you with the same service because you are continuing to use the same cable converter box. If you are receiving a higher level of service than you originally had it may be that the cable feed to the new apartment originally provided a higher tier of service. In that case the cable company will probably determine, through the converter box's unique identification number, that you should not receive the higher tier of service and, at some point, the cable company will most likely stop delivering the higher tier of service to you. One thing is sure, you'll be receiving a bill from the cable company--and it may be higher than you anticipate.

Let's say that you move to another location across town. If you take the same cable converter box to that location the cable company will have to reactivate the converter box to work in that location even though they can still track you and that converter box to the new location through the unique electronic identification number.

The cable company is much like the government, you should not expect to escape their scrutiny.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber /forum/post/18183044

So if I were to bring this cable box to another apartment (or any location for that matter), the same thing would happen only because Comcast specifically authorized my cable box to play those channels?

This will work if you're moving somewhere within the same cable head-in node, usually about the size of a neighborhood. Only the cableco really knows where that begins and ends. Since you moved within the building, you're almost certainly staying in the same node. Buildings across the street from you might also be in the same node, but they could also be outside of it, depending on the luck of the draw.

Some people have managed to transport a box over a mile and still get it to work.

Quote:
If I were to obtain a Tivo HD and the Comcast cable cards and then later cancel my cable service, then my cable cards would also be de-authorized in the process, making them useless?

Yeah, they keep track of who has what service and who has what equipment, including the cards. If you keep the card after canceling, you could also be billed for its replacement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys. This was all pretty interesting to learn about - very different from how I thought it had initially worked. I had no idea that everyone around me was integrated under the same node and we were all authorized certain tiers of service based on what our cable box was set to.

I guess that I will most likely just cancel our service and then have my roommate order some sweet 6 month deal, and then back to me, and continue this endless cycle :-/...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Just watch for early termination fees. Sometimes they get you with those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts