Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

If I plan on watching video through an HTPC and a front projection system I take my video out off the video card out and go straight to the projector, right?

So I'm just wondering....what purpose, if any, do the video processing capabilities of an AVP separate serve for someone who goes the HTPC route? Assuming that I plan on watching DVD's and cable TV through the HTPC, would there be any envisageable scenario where I might care about whether the video side of my AVP is up to snuff (takes component video, etc.)?

If I've understood correctly that the video processing capabilities don't make any difference for those who want to output analog or digital video information thats been processed in a computer then it's just too bad that there don't seem to be any high end separates that are just surround sound processors, and invest their energies in getting a product that just does the audio side of things very well. I know there's lots of great gear that delivers wonderful audio performace - just seems a waste to be paying for some video circuitry that I'll be bypassing anyway.

Thanks for comments or setting me straight if I've COMPLETELY misunderstood something.

------------------

Dave

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
When using dScaler (dTV) software I use my AV receiver to switch which composite video input goes _into_ my HTPC while the sound goes directly to the speakers.

This is true when I use the VCR, cable box, or Tivo. When playing DVD or HD the sound and video both originate on the HTPC.

- Tom

------------------

(This sentience has tree errors.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom, that's a helpful reply.

------------------

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status