AVS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I don't have the sub to measure. I'm trying to determine if I can fit one of these in a cabinet in my living room without building a custom box and this dimension is not shown on the Parts Express website for the sub.
Gotcha. I don't have one outside of a box to measure for you, do the specs on the PE site not give you what you need? It would be the frame measurement + xmax from the top of the roll (~28mm)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gotcha. I don't have one outside of a box to measure for you, do the specs on the PE site not give you what you need? It would be the frame measurement + xmax from the top of the roll (~28mm)
View attachment 3047375
Unfortunately no. There is no dimension to the top of the roll there. Likely Parts Express can help me with their tech support unless someone here has a quick way to measure theirs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do you happen to know what this translates to from the surface the sub mounts to? 28mm from the peak of the surround to grille for excursion, but I'm wondering what I need to add from peak of surround to mounting surface to get the overall mounting surface to grille dimension.
I wish you had posted this earlier yesterday. I kept working on my box and don't have a way to measure that any more.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Since you have the baffle, why not saw off the round overs and glue in square material? Sand or route (preferably) it flush and then veneer. You could add some blocks inside if you’re concerned about strength, but remember glue joints are stronger than mdf. Or leave round over on two edges and square the other two, and wrap veneer all the way around.

This is a pic of mine from same thread, it’s not that hard to wrap veneer like this

·
Registered
277 Posts
I wish you had posted this earlier yesterday. I kept working on my box and don't have a way to measure that any more.
understood. How about from the front of your baffle to the furthest point on the roll? That would get me what I need as well as I assume your baffle is a true 3/4” thick mdf.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
understood. How about from the front of your baffle to the furthest point on the roll? That would get me what I need as well as I assume your baffle is a true 3/4” thick mdf.
Sorry for the delay I'm still in the ending stages of my remodel and the drivers were buried under other stuff.

It looks like it sits about 19mm from the outer baffle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry for the delay I'm still in the ending stages of my remodel and the drivers were buried under other stuff.

It looks like it sits about 19mm from the outer baffle.
Awesome, thank you SO much. Looks like I’m going to have to build my own box or trim down the flat pack slightly to reduce depth, or rotate it so it’s down facing. 19mm plus the 28mm excursion is nearly 2” I need to account for.

Somewhat related questions:
1) I don’t suppose anyone has dimensions for the reinforcements that come with this flat pack? I was looking through the Sketchup 3D Warehouse and I’m amazed a model doesn’t exist. I’ll make one and share if folks are interested if I can sort out dimensions ($200 box DIY for like $30 in materials if you have the tools :))
2) If I have to customize the 4cuft box slightly, I assume I want to just try to maintain similar internal volume? For example, does it matter if I make the box slightly wider than this flat pack but not quite as deep if the volume is similar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used formica for the sides and back of that kit and yes, I ended up painting the front because there as no way to wrap the beveled front. What about reversing the from piece, or swapping the beveled front panel with the one beneath it? I don't remember the build in enough detail to say that would work but look into it

21 - 28 of 28 Posts