AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Buying from CS gets you Dayton's calibration AND CS's calibration which is 3rd party. CS has plots comparing cals that show there is discrepancy. Personally the CS version is worth it to me, but if you're just measuring your room it might not be a big deal. Depends what you want.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I just read the FAQ on the CS site and am not sure if I should be worried about this:

What is the down side?

There are two issues we have discovered with the UMM-6:

• The UMM-6 microphone has a relatively high noise floor of about 53 dB, compared to a noise floor of 30-40 dBA for the ECM8000 and EMM-6. This noise floor can cause issues with distortion measurements or measurements of quiet sources.

• The microphone may not work properly with software that expects the input device and output device to share the same clock source (for example, ARTA has issues when averaging multiple measurements with the UMM-6).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to measure what my subs are doing but would also like to measure my FR of my front stage alongside my subs.

Of course I'd like accuracy of what's happening in my room.

thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
It'll be fine. I bought the UMM-6 from Cross-Spectrum last week and it arrived yesterday. I preferred the USB connection to setting up all the gear needed for a regular mic, makes it much more portable and "plug and play". CS calibrate their mics.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Is the UMM-6 the mic the USB mic that is basically plug and play? I have a Behringer ECM8000 that I have been using but I would really like to sell it and get something that doesn't require a mic-pre-amp and external sound card. Any suggestions from the choices that CSL carries?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1468345/umm-6-mic-cross-spectrum-or-pe#post_23208956

Is the UMM-6 the mic the USB mic that is basically plug and play?
Yes. By all appearances the UMM-6 and ECM8000 probably come from the same factory and use the same capsule. You can functionally convert an ECM8000 to a UMM-6 with one of these:
http://bluemic.com/icicle/

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts