AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been googling, and searching the forums, and I want to calibrate my 60XS955 myself, and it appears I will need the service menu guide from UMR for the GWIV series that so many people refer too....however it doesnt seem to exist anymore?

Does anybody still have this guide, or know where it is located now? Help me out, I would prefer having a black level instead of this "darkgrey level" and I want to fix some overscan issues and red push

·
Registered
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr
All of the GW series require service mode adjustments to achieve a quality image. I only provided info for the GWII and GWIII series.
I think that's overstating the case a bit. Yes, all these TVs can benefit from service mode adjustments. But I think you can still get a quality image without them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for pointing me in the right direction, just a few minor changes even like setting AXIS to 0, and disabling Scan Velocity Modulation have made such a huge impact on my PQ its rediculous! Everything is so sharp and clear...and I actually have BLACK now instead of dark grey! :D

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr
I am sure it would satisfy many, but I could not accept their performance OTB.
I think the majortiy of us who have studied on here what's involved in doing the adjustments, and have carefully proceeded with the process, would agree wholeheartedly!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just don't understand why Sony does not make these changes at the factory. I meen how long have they had? 3, 4 years now? Geezzz! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Patato
I just don't understand why Sony does not make these changes at the factory. I meen how long have they had? 3, 4 years now? Geezzz! :rolleyes:
Why only Sony? I am not aware of any 'popular brand' displays that have acceptable out of box perfromance.

Why set up a display per ISF standards if only about 10% of the buyers could even appreciate it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What I'm talking about is the few simple adjustments that damn neer all of us with sonys that are on this forum. Specifically like what WildKard said. It seems all the GW's improve incredibly by these minor adjustments in the service menue. I know someone at Sony has seen some of the threads like UMR does the GWII. You whould think that Sony would want a better OTB picture. As far as Other brands yes your right. It's the same thing I would think.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
'couch potato':

Again, I'm sure it's corporate talking, I would think the engineers have known all along what the best tweaks would be, and probably have made them to their own displays at home. Probably some tweaks we have not even thought of...but I think UMR, et al have covered the important ones.

Zues:

My 36" Wega had similar issues, and like I've done here, searched for recommended tweaks for red push, etc.

But also getting into the service menu I was able to make some significant improvements to geometry.

The changes I've made to my GWIV were easier to implement than some of the tweaks I did on my CRT. I ventured into the back of the set to replace a choke coil to improve an uneven brightness problem on dark scenes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.