AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Un prophète (A Prophet) - "A young Arab man is sent to a French prison where he becomes a mafia kingpin. At age 18, Malik El Djebena ( Tahar Rahim ) is just beginning a six-year prison sentence in this drama from 'De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté' (The Beat That My Heart Skipped) director Jacques Audiard . Though he cannot read or write, Malik soon figures out the politics of the prison system, giving him a prime spot in the power struggle between two battling groups of prisoners. 'Un prophète' reunites Audiard with two of his stars from 'De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté', Niels Arestrup and Gilles Cohen , as well as that film’s director of photography, Stéphane Fontaine , and its composer, Alexandre Desplat .

I'm a hugh Jacques Audiard fan and have been looking forward to this film since I first heard about it over a year ago. I thoroughly enjoyed Audiard's previous films "De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté" and "Sur mes lèvres" aka Read My Lips and was hoping "Un prophète" would be equally entertaining. Thankfully it was and then some, it is absolutely riveting.

This is one of the finest crime films I've seen in awhile. Intense from start to finish, 'Un prophète' is a modern French crime epic; a must see! Without a doubt one of the best films of 2009.

BAFTA for Best Foreign Language Film

Winner National Board of Review Best Foreign Language Film

Winner Cannes Film Festival - Grand Prix

Winner European Film Awards Best Actor - Tahar Rahim

France's official submission to 82nd Academy Award's Foreign Language in 2010.

Sony Pictures A Prophet (Un Prophete)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero /forum/post/18192325

Is this in release or did you see it on DVD?

Limited release in the US on 26 Feb. (LA and New York), coming soon to a city near you.

Non-English friendly DVD and Blu Ray are available from Amazon.fr.

Sony Pictures A Prophet (Un Prophete)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Thanks, Airboss.

Not an easy movie to watch nor light entertainment, since it seems very realistic from such a young lead actor (about 27 at the time).

The movie is very long, but not too many dull moments.

IMHO, this is an excllent crime movie, regardless or sub-title or not. Highly recommended if you've the stomach for it.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
In spite of the awards, I think I'll pass on this one.

The plot isn't very appealing.

Prison dramas don't usually do much for me.

Mainly because the prisoners are always made more palatable for the ticket buying audience than what they really are.

There is always a character who is a near saint and is wrongly incarcerated.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Incredible, powerful film. This is what film-making is all about... engaging storytelling with rich characters and plot. Superb acting and beautiful cinematography, and even a great soundtrack. The direction is also spot on. It's easy to see why it's received so much praise. Highly recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts