AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
First big TV purchase ever and I am having choice paralysis between these models available at Best Buy. I am not so much interested in the smart features (I will be getting an HTPC, and for netflix/Hulu I have a game system) nor am I interested in 3D. I just want good picture. Any help in making my decision would be appreciated.

As an aside: Best Buy does price matching, are there any sites I should be checking for better deals to price match with?

UN60H6203 Samsung 60" for $900
KDL55W800B Sony 55" for $1000
KDL60W630B Sony 60" for $1,069.99

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings,
First big TV purchase ever and I am having choice paralysis between these models available at Best Buy. I am not so much interested in the smart features (I will be getting an HTPC, and for netflix/Hulu I have a game system) nor am I interested in 3D. I just want good picture. Any help in making my decision would be appreciated.

As an aside: Best Buy does price matching, are there any sites I should be checking for better deals to price match with?

UN60H6203 Samsung 60" for $900
KDL55W800B Sony 55" for $1000
KDL60W630B Sony 60" for $1,069.99

Thank you.
I would choose the samsung UN60H6203, which is the one I own. Although it's a sharp panel, I find the picture quality really good. It is heavier and thicker than the sony but after I have seen the screen uniformity, I think it is a worthy tradeoff.

I've briefly owned the sony kdl60w630b and had clouding noticeable in a lit room with low backlight settings, flashlighting, and dirty screen, which I found distracting when viewing white computer screens. I ended up returning the w630b.

The sony is edge lit so there is a greater likelihood of uniformity problems, while the samsung is direct lit led. However, you could get a good unit and that may not be a problem (panel lottery). Samsung does have more input lag than the Sony tvs but I don't game much.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The W630B is also direct-lit and also comes with a Sharp panel (perhaps even the exact same one). You just had bad luck with that particular model or good luck with your particular Samsung if you will. Assembly apparently plays a big part in the amount of clouding, etc.
The 55W800B is the edge-lit one here with 3D and should have the best black values out of the three but not by a huge margin. All three would be a solid pick depending on whether you get one with minimal issues ...
And just recalled the Samsung has 2 HDMI inputs only (iirc) and looks like a 2008 model :D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm so it looks like a toss up between the UN60H6203 Samsung 60" or the KDL60W630B Sony 60". I think I'll pop into the store to take a look to see if the 630B is worth the extra 200 bucks. Thank you all very much for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts