·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OS Win7 x64
Application Windows Media Center Live TV
Video / Audio card ATI 5450
Codec Shark007 Suggested settings.

I can view live OTA HD TV just fine. I can get sound as well but I cannot adjust the volume at all. It's either off (0 / mute) or 100% (1-50)

Also, I don't think I'm getting the right audio playback. For instance some stations show Dolby Digital Plus but I don't think I'm getting it to my receiver.

I'm assuming this is a codec issue of some sort? Any pointers?

TIA

·
Registered
537 Posts
are you decoding the bitstream, and playing the sound via analog, or are you sending a dolby digital stream to your tv or receiver? If you are bitstreaming, you shouldn't be able to adjust the volume, as that would change the source stream.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But now TMT3 only gives me 2.1 Multichannel (only left, right, and sub work) whereas before I was getting my receiver to light up "TRUE-HD"

Guess I can't have my cake and eat it to eh?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wait, so it is possible to get the 7MC volume control to work with HDMI out? Is there a way to do it without installing Shark's pack? Also, I don't see the "active digital output device" option in the audio tab illustration.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrew,

WMC TV (and movies) volume control was working just fine when I had my HTPC hooked up to a stereo TV via HDMI.

It's only when I took my HTPC into the HT room and had it bitstreaming to the receiver for 5.1 greatness that I lost the ability to control TV volume via WMC. However I'm still able to control the volume in Movies played in WMC (AAC 5.1 playback). Go figure.

I'll eventually just get my Harmony remote all squared away and just control ALL the volume @ the receiver and be done with this crap.

No wonder people give up on working on HTPCs... I've spent probably a good 16 hours the past few weeks getting my video and audio all working nicely.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just use 2 remotes. Receiver remote and HTPC remote. Before I had the receiver, I had the HTPC hooked to the TV directly (also over HDMI) and had no volume control for 7MC as well (though in any other application, like WMP or say a youtube window, volume works fine, but I guess it isn't bitstreaming untouched digital in those applications). Using 2 remotes isn't the end of the world, and I rarely make volume adjustments, and mute works on the HTPC remote, so that's good. From what I've read, it just isn't possible to have windows manipulate a digital stream if you want HDCP to work when sending the signal down the line to another compatible device via HDMI. What Shark says above seems to contradict what I've read (some of which I linked to above), so I'm just trying to figure this all out is all.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Bitstreamed audio can not be volume controlled as already pointed out.

The poster who said that HDMI audio can not be volume controlled is simply wrong. A decoded audio stream can be voume controlled. Bitstreamed audio can not.

Bitstreamed audio refers to audio types such as DD, DTS, True-HD, DTS-HD etc.

So, in the end, if you are using a surround receiver connected via a digital input (optical, coax or HDMI) then you might as well just get a universal remote and plan on using the receiver to control the volume because the HTPC will playback some audio that can be controlled and other audio that can't be controlled.

Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.