AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scoured Google for hours, but have been unable to find a thread or any other info that addresses my specific problem - I'm ready to start tearing my hair out!

I've got my computer and a 32" Samsung TV ( LN32A330 ) in my bedroom to replace a 19" TV/VCR - I just got a BluRay drive and, following that, a new video card so I could watch BR in my room without having to lay out the cash for a standalone player. The TV is connected via component cables.

My old card was a GeForce 7600gt - after a little bit of tweaking, I was able to get it to fit my Samsung's screen perfectly at 1366x768, with a little down-scaling in the Nvidia control panel to make the image fit (not alot, mind). Again, component cables made things work nice and pretty before.

However, the Blu Ray drive required a card with more guts. So I snagged myself a GeForce 9500gt, since I was able to get it for a good price and it had decent reviews.

Now, for the life of me, I can't get the damn thing to display on my TV properly! It's stuck at 1280x720.

It does not allow me to create custom resolutions at all even if I make one that is exactly what is listed in the setup info for other resolution. Powerstrip doesn't work (according to others on the net) with 9000 series GeForce cards, and RiviaTuner didn't seem to do anything.

To make things even more fun: I cannot change my resolution at all on the TV, except through the Nvidia TV Wizard in the Nvidia control panel thing...

It all worked fine with my old card, the 7600GT. I was able to have the display right to the edges of the screen. The problem with the new display is it doesn't make full use of the screen (a black border that's slightly thicker on the sides than on the top and bottom is present, now) and I cannot view media players in "full screen" mode - which sort of defeats the purpose of the setup.

I've provided everything I can think of...please, someone give me a hand here, I'm at my wits end!

EDIT:

Also, if it helps: With the old video card, the card/windows treated the TV like a second monitor - even with things hooked up via component cables, I saw everything on it from the moment I turned on my computer - boot screen/info and all that jazz.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not sure if this applies, but I read in another forum that the latest drivers (181.20) do not allow custom resolutions--they always "fail" after being created and tested. The poster said that the previous driver version worked just fine, though.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatCauthon /forum/post/15543249

...I've provided everything I can think of...

Except how you currently connect the 9500gt to the Tv. If you are using the component "tv out" (svideo form factor) dongle, then you won't be able to do custom timings. In an effort to keep things simple and allow the video card to work with Tv, the driver will only allow standard hdtv 1080 or 720 resolutions. If you want custom resolutions then you will have to use an external transcoder or try hdmi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I tried the latest drivers and some older ones - no dice either way. :\\

I did mention in my first post that the TV was connected with component cables through the S-Video port-thing on the card. That was how I had my 7600gt connected, so I had assumed that it would work for the 9500gt as well.

If that's not the case, I guess I'll have to connect via HDMI - I have a DVI-to-HDMI adapter ordered from Newegg, but already have two HDMI devices connected to the TV (cable box, upconvert DVD player for when I don't want to fuss around with the extra steps in the sound connection from my computer).

I guess that if the card is hardwired to not allow custom resolutions via the S-video/Component port, I will have to wait for the HDMI adapter to get here.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your card has a 7 or 9 pin Din connector which looks very similiar to a S-Video connector and you are using a Dongle connected to that part to support your comppnent cable.

I believe I read somewhere that after you test the connections you make with a custom resolution that you have to go back in to show all modes in order to select your custom resolution. Regretfully I did not save a link to that post.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
nVidia cards changed drastically after 79xx series, which is probably why you can't get it working like before, and why powerstrip stopped support of custom resolutions as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Walford - Thing is, for the component connection it fails every single custom resolution...I've not been able to find a work-around.

hammerdwn - That makes sense, though it also sorta sucks. Will the DVI-to-HDMI provide me with a proper full-screen (1366x768) image? As it stands now, it's quite messed up

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If you go digital, the next situation is gonna be what EDID the Tv and sends back to the video card. Start searching for "edid" work-arounds if the native resolution is not detected/available. If you don't want/need digital then explore products on this page http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale.shtm scroll down

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The most recent NVIDIA drivers do not support changing of any system available settins such as registry settings that control their resolution timings which is why powerstrip can not be used with them.

What resolution are you trying to send over component that your Samsung TVs PC chapter states that it will accept over compoent?\\

Nvidia drivers normally do not support 1366x768 since 1366 is not divisable by 8 which is the basic windows text font with. Normally they support 1360x768 instead,

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you had this working with a 7600GT, you should just try PowerStrip with your 9500GT. Post-GF7 GPUs aren't "officially" supported by PowerStrip, but the controls are there. Harmless to try anyway...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
But the problem is that Nvidia drivers no longer can no longer be controlled by Powerstrip changes since they no longer access the system entries changed by Powerstrip.

·
Registered
645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15555435

But the problem is that Nvidia drivers no longer can no longer be controlled by Powerstrip changes since they no longer access the system entries changed by Powerstrip.

I'm not sure I followed that. I just finished creating a handful of custom resolutions for an odd panel, over an analog connection, using the latest NV Vista32 182.10 (Jan'09) driver and PS 3.84. They all work fine.

No question things grow ever more complicated, but this seems unchanged...for the time being, anyway. (I haven't tested XP, but it would be strange if NV changed the old OS driver, but not the new one.)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Pstrip does not work on my machine after going from 7900 to 9600. Custom resolutions is completely grayed out. I was told by entech the reason is hardware architecture is completely new and nVidia would not release details for it. Entech has admitted they simply don't want to spend the time to reverse engineer the hardware to make it work for us nVidia users.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK the latest NVIDIA drivers for their newer cards do not store their rsolution and timing values anywhere on the system that a program like PowerStrip can set or change them which is why PS does not work.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't know if PowerStrip works with all "the latest NVIDIA drivers for their newer cards" that you mention. But it does work with the 9500GT Mat asked about, and the Jan'09 NVidia 182.10 Vista driver.

(The timing controls would work anyway, regardless of NVidia's driver, since they address the NV hardware...)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
! HOLY GAZOOKA's BATMAN ! I just updated powerstrip and advanced timings is no longer grayed out! WOOO HOOO! This should be fricken front page news! sorry for the bold, but this is HUGE

I don't know about the OP machine. I still doubt custom resolutions like 1366x768 are even do-able over the "Tv out" svideo form factor component adapter. VGA yes.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Saldanha /forum/post/15560247

(The timing controls would work anyway, regardless of NVidia's driver, since they address the NV hardware...)

I don't klnow what NV stands. Does that the custom timings are stored in the displays INF files?

AFAIK the maximum resolution that can be input to graphics cards S-video scan converters is 1024x768 and for most of them it is 800x600.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts