AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a maxtor 80GB 5400rpm drive that I have been unable to re-store to replayTV service using rtvpatch. The strange thing is that it was working for months.

I have two Panasonic PVHS-2000's both with upgraded drives, one with external drive. I went to move the second units drive to external and something went wrong. Freeze up's re-boot's etc. I thought it was possible corruption of the operating system on the drive so I re-installed a downloaded image using the win2k gui version of rtvpatch. It didn't work.

I now have the second unit working again with inclose external drive enclosure with the original 30GB Quantum drive, but I have not been able to recover the 80GB maxtor. Twice I have done low level formats; I have used images copied from both of my working drives; at least two versions of rtvpatch including the command line version; and lastly the linux boot disk version. Nothing works. I just get the blue screen "wait a minute".

None of the maxtor utilities find any error.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Waylock

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
and your sure the HD jumpers were set to the right place?

I had a problem this weekend upgrading a drive. The Replay didn't like the master position, but didn't have a problem with CS.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
And the new generation of drives (Maxtor at least) come pre-configured for CS, not Master as they used to. Just another thing to remember when patching new drives.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was careful to set the jumpers properly for master and slave as I was patching the drive, but I never tried cable select in the showstopper, only master. I tried cable select last night - didn't work. One blink of red light to try to boot from the drive then the same "Please Wait A Few Moments" screen. Worth a try though, maybe BaysideBas's comment is why it worked for you. Thanks for the suggestion.

It used to work with Master setting, I first patched it and began using it in January this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well very similar any way.

I have a single drive panasonic showstopper with a 100gig Western Digital drive installed. Was working fine for ~6 months, now all the sudden it won't "boot". Get the message "please wait".

I haven't had the chance to try and fix it yet. I did however, run a diagnostic on the drive and turned up nothing.

You said you installed a downloaded image... where did you download from? I would like to try that image out on mine.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bingle
Well very similar any way.

I have a single drive panasonic showstopper with a 100gig Western Digital drive installed. Was working fine for ~6 months, now all the sudden it won't "boot". Get the message "please wait".

I haven't had the chance to try and fix it yet. I did however, run a diagnostic on the drive and turned up nothing.

You said you installed a downloaded image... where did you download from? I would like to try that image out on mine.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out.
Feel free to download the showstopper image from either link in my signature block.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping one of the rtvpatch experts would know of a software different than rtvpatch to check the drive since rtvpatch seemed to think it was OK even when it would not work in either showstopper.

Then I realized that extract_rtv does just that. Plugged drive in carrier into PC ran extract_rtv - no replay drive found. The last action with this drive was the linux boot disk mirror? Still not surprised. Since, it was already in the computer I ran the GUI rtvpatch using an image I had backed up from a 120 GB drive. Error about partition size (seen before) Patched second time said yes to large clusters. Had done variations of all this between 5-10 times already.

Ran extract_rtv again (don't even have to re-cycle computer). Replay disk recognized with all recordings that had been on the 120GB disk. Obviously they are not really there, but encouraging. Power off replay, plug drive into replay, power on, drive is accessed multiple times not just once and green light goes out after a minute! Start TV software and turn-on replay and indeed it is now working!

It makes no sense to me. I don't believe extract_rtv is writing to the drive at all. So why would it make any difference to check the drive with it?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Waylock
I ran the GUI rtvpatch using an image I had backed up from a 120 GB drive. Error about partition size (seen before) Patched second time said yes to large clusters. Had done variations of all this between 5-10 times already.
Could it be you restored the drive from a large cluster image on your earlier attempts?

If your backup file was created using a large cluster drive as the source most likely you will receive a invalid cluster size error during the reset mpg partition step. This error fails the upgrade. Review the rtvpatch.log and you may find

*** ERROR: Invalid cluster size for partition 2

*** Restore complete

I only use small cluster backup images to avoid this.

If you used a downloaded image I don't know why it didn't work.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Have you tried using the drive from the working replay in the broken one?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ghoul - Yes, at the point I asked for help I had two working replays, one with 120GB drive, second with original Quantum 30GB put back. I had also tried the 80GB maxtor in both replays after patching it with no success. I was stymied.

Mikeyboy - I had three images to work with and I tried them all. Your downloaded image, my image from the Q30 and my image from the 120GB which was originally patched with large clusters. I had no success with any of these, nor with directly mirroring the Q30 which was the last attempt before I tried extractRTV.

Question: What does it mean to patch? As opposed to copying data or images from one drive to another.

I just recently realized there was a log generated by rtvpatch. Here is the log for the successful restore & patch.

RTVPatch version 2.2.4 (with big cluster size), built on May 29 2002, 13:40:02

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0 (QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 30) : Detected size = 58612864 sectors

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (WDC WD400AB-00BVA0) : Detected size = 78165360 sectors

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (Maxtor 4D080H4) : Detected size = 160086528 sectors

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3 : Identify Command Failed

DriverStatus: bDriverError=0x0, bIDEStatus=0x0

Copy from source 'F:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\My Documents\\PVHSwd120.rtv' at offset 0

Copy to destination '\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2' at offset 0

Copying 624642 blocks (305MB)

*** Resetting MPEG partition

Partition 1 size is 614400 (0x96000) blocks.

Partition 2 starts at sector 614402 (0x96002)

Partition 2 cluster size is 2097152 bytes.

*** ERROR: Invalid cluster size for partition 2

*** Restore complete

***** PATCHING DISK *****

Target disk is \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (160086528 sectors)

***** Patching partition block...

Original partition table values:

Partition 1, type 0x4d, start: 2, length: 614400

Partition 2, type 0x4d, start: 614402, length: 233827246

Partition 3, type 0x00, start: 0, length: 0

Partition 4, type 0x00, start: 0, length: 0

Clearing 3rd and 4th partition settings

Partition 2 will be 159472126 (0x98159fe) blocks.

***** Clearing volume sequence block...

Partition 2 cluster size was 2097152 bytes.

Partition 2 cluster size will be 2097152 bytes.

*** Formatting partition on device '\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2' at offset=314573824

Writing system block with 38933 clusters of 2097152 bytes each

Writing superblock with label 'mpeg'

CRC is 0x0db7

XOR byte is 0x22

Writing root directory entry

CRC is 0x235f

XOR byte is 0x22

*** Partition format complete

***** PATCH COMPLETE *****

Patch complete

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Waylock
Question: What does it mean to patch?
If you were to use an image from a 30 gb drive on a 120 gb without patching, the ReplayTV box and OS would be looking for a 30 gb drive when it tried to boot. The patching part of RTVPatch tells the ReplayTV OS how big the drive actually is, so it's a necessary step when upgrading to a different drive. That's it in a nutshell.

-Gary

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I don't know what went wrong. I imagine RTVPatch and EXTRACT_RTV pick up the replay drive ID from the master boot record. Something odd interfered with writing to it or reading from it.

I'm not the brains around here, just the brawn.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
L8er - That makes sense, thanks for the insight.

I appreciate all the fine work by the senior members of this forum to make available tools like rtvpatch and extractrtv, and disk images too. This forum and the possiblilities to play with the replay PVR were the reason I bought my first showstopper.

Waylock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.