Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

OK. I am having a strange problem. I just spoke with Tech Support (YES, India!) for about an hour (plus busy/hold for another hour+)

Anyway, here is my problem. Streaming from 4516 to 4320 is fine. Streaming the OTHER way, 4320 to 4516 give me nothing but "VIDEO TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE" every few seconds. It's impossible to watch a streamed show this way. My tech support adviser, at first, gave me the standard answer that the newer unit cannot stream to the older unit! She told me that they both have different software - WRONG!!! Both Replays have the exact same sw version 520430290. I had to explain to her (the tech support expert) that the 4000 and the 4500 series were virtually identical except that the 4500 has support for a telephone line.

Anyway, after all the bu****ht (she had me change the name of my 4320 and soft boot both machines), I am in the exact same situation. She INSISTED that the problem lies in the 4320 (if there even IS a problem!) I am almost certain the problem is in the 4516.

I have all of my cables plugged in to a brand new Linksys 10/100 Switch, I can stream WICKED fast through DV Archive from either replay unit. I just tried to stream from my Kitchen PC TO the 4516 and I am getting occasional "VIDEO TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE" black screens. It's maintaining the stream I'd say about 97 to 98% of the time. But actually, it's not NEARLY as bad as when I stream from the 4320. Seems like the only real problem is when the 4516 is streaming (playing) from the 4320, not the other way around. Does anyone know the bare minimum receive stream rate to maintain the stream (I only record in Standard to keep the file size small)? Right now, it streams as low as 121 KB/sec and as high as around 500 KB/sec. Below 121 I think is when it cuts out. I can COPY shows to DVA from the 4516 at about 600+KB/s. When I stream to DVA from the 4320, my speed right now is about 1.6MB/s. I'm streaming from the 4516 to DVA at about 1.17 MB/s.

Could I have a Cat5 cable that works well in one direction, but not the other? My cables are all home made. I told Tech that I thought my 4516 Network card may be bad but she insisted that it is not. Does the RPTV use a a standard Network card? Can I replace it myself? Any help is appreciated (as always). Lord knows, I won't get any help from SB!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Since the hardware is identical, as far as anyone can tell. you could move the network card from the 4320 to the 4516 and vice versa and see if the problem moves. Just a thought.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The Indian tech support is clueless.

Bad or semi bad network cables can manifest problems in any number of ways. You could try running some test cables across the floor to test.

The 4500 and 4000 are identical, including the modem, after software version 520430xxx.

The NICs on the 4xxx can be removed. You can swap NICs and see if the problem reverses. Be careful with the ground lead to the motherboard from the NIC.

I am using a cheap switch plugged into my Linksys router/switch/WAP just for ReplayTVs/DVArchive traffic.

Make sure all your switches are switches (not hubs, many old 3 com hubs say 10/100 switch) and work at 100Mb and Full Duplex. If you have older 10Mb or Half Duplex switches/hubs then upgrade. Switches are cheap enough. I have heard of some Replays staying at half duplex or 10Mbs if the unit was operating at the speed at one time. I imagine if you power disconnect the Replays and switches all at the same time it would be corrected on power up. Also try different ports on your switch. You could have a failing port. Check where you wires run also. Stay away from interference sources.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The first thing I will do is make a new cat5 cable and run it between both replays. Can I just take a switch (Linksys) and plug each replay directly into 2 ports? Or, does the switch have to be connected to my router? I must use a crossover cable if I directly connect each replay, right??

At this point, I don't really want to mess with the NIC's. If I need to, are they standard cards that I can just buy at CompUSA, etc? I'm just not quite ready to open the box and screw up my warranty. Actually, I think both are basically out of warranty, but I don't want a $1,000+ doorstop!

I am spending WAYYYY too much time on these stupid replays!

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GadgetGuy,

"I am using a cheap switch plugged into my Linksys router/switch/WAP just for ReplayTVs/DVArchive traffic.

Make sure all your switches are switches (not hubs, many old 3 com hubs say 10/100 switch) and work at 100Mb and Full Duplex. If you have older 10Mb or Half Duplex switches/hubs then upgrade. Switches are cheap enough. I have heard of some Replays staying at half duplex or 10Mbs if the unit was operating at the speed at one time. I imagine if you power disconnect the Replays and switches all at the same time it would be corrected on power up. Also try different ports on your switch. You could have a failing port. Check where you wires run also. Stay away from interference sources."

FYI. I have all replay traffic plugged into the same switch. Yes, it is a new Linksys and it is a true switch. I'll keep trying...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If I recall correctly the NIC does seem to be basically a standard PCI Network Card but I could not tell you what chipset it is using. Anyway since you can't load drivers you would need an exact replacement. I would expect it to be a special order not the type of thing at a retail store. This might be a NIC that is common for OEM devices but not sold in stores.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Oh yeah, you do not need to connect to your router to stream. You will need to connect sooner or later to get guide data. If you want to test the machines directly to each other then a cross over cable will be needed. However, I would think any 100Mb switch should be fine as far as speed. The traffic when streaming is a bit much for many 10Mb networks but 100Mb is plenty for the Replays. If for some reason the machines are not properly auto-negotiating the speed or duplex then you may need to try a different brand switch. Of course faulty wiring or equipment is possible.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect it's the wiring. Tomorrow, I'm going to crimp new ends on the cable to the 4516.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.