AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung UN657100, just bought it in February of this year from Costco. TH01 panel.

The picture below is at backlight level of 14, using ZMad's calibration settings. I also used my own calibration and it still shows up pretty badly, I think... Flashlighting is apparent until about 6 backlight... The flashlighting does appear to diminish depending on what angle you are viewing the tv, but straight on it is quite noticeable.

What do you guys think? The only thing I have done is loosen up the bottom two screws in the back corners and it didn't do anything.

Camera picked up the flashlighting a little more than is visible to my eyes (maybe 30% more), but does a good job presenting the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, thank you for the input. I wasn't sure if this was a common issue or what.. Some people in the owner's thread mention it, but I wasn't sure...

What are my actions? Is this something that Costco should handle under warranty? What about Samsung? Any advice there?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You have 90 days at Costco to return it, I suggest you return it and wait until they get the 2015 models in.

That is terrible..................

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Heh, thank you for the input. I wasn't sure if this was a common issue or what.. Some people in the owner's thread mention it, but I wasn't sure...

What are my actions? Is this something that Costco should handle under warranty? What about Samsung? Any advice there?
The problem is with edge lit LEDs people have accepted flashlighting and clouding because it is part of the tech and the manufacturers tell you that is what you get.

The real course of action is for people to stop buying edge lit TVs but we know that won't happen so you either play the panel lottery and keep hoping you get one that is acceptable to you or buy a Vizio M or P series that will have better uniformity due to full array local dimming.

Or try and find yourself a plasma.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the input. I will get on returning it, because it personally drives me crazy.

So the 2015 models are non edge-lit, eh? Are those suppose to be out soon? I'm going to assume the Samsung 8xxx series is also edge lit.

I almost bought the Sharp Q+ 70" as a comparable buy. I can definitely wait for the 2015's if need be. Not the only TV in the house.

Hopefully I don't end up with store credit... probably go to Amazon next (

1 - 8 of 8 Posts