AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is terribly vague, and I apologise for that, but I will describe the situation as best as I can. I have a various collection of speakers that combine for 5.1 surround: EPI mains, Pioneer satellites stolen from a bookshelf system and converted over, Sony center channel and [the only high-quality, worth-its-weight peice] Sony subwoofer. All of this is hooked up to an older Sony receiver, and it works great.

I have my computer hooked up to one of the audio inputs so I can crank some iTunes up when I'm socializing, but I've noticed that if the volume is up on the receiver, but no music is playing from my computer, there's a definite hum that comes through the speakers. This is never noticable when the receiver is on my PS2, DVD or TV, only the computer.

Without seeing my configuration, it's probably impossible to troubleshoot. Short of disconnecting everything but my computer, are there any weak spots that I should check? Could the audio cables from the computer to the receiver need relacement? Is it due to the sound card? It's not a hum that sounds dangerous, and the volume has to be about 35% (I never go above 25% for movies and regular TV) before it's noticable.

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I get the same thing through my speakers. I run an optical cable out of my sound card, into my receiver...It's annoying, when it's up loud..

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It's either a ground loop or crappy onboard sound. Assuming analog cable, pull it out and hook all of the connectors on it to the computer case (ground them all). If it still hums, it's a ground loop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.