AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my JVC HM-HDS1U unit is not a Showstopper nor a Replay TV unit, but I couldn't find a specific forum for it. Anyway, I guess the Hard Disk recording part of this machine works pretty much like any other PVR, just without the service + subscription, so maybe some of you can help me.

A few weeks ago, the hard disk started to become more and more noisy. A high pitch whine that many other users have described in other forums.

I wonder if I can replace the hard disk myself, without sending the unit to repair (it could take months here!), but i'm really not an expert.

In your experience, what kind of hard disk these kinds of PVR have?

Are things as easy as removing the hard disk and replacing it? Or is it trickier than that (is the software that runs the unit stored on the hard disk? In that case, what happens if you replace it?).

Thanks for your replies.

Luca

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Replay and TIVO both use run of the mill IDE hard drives with gig size varying greatly. The operating system is on the hard drive and would need to be duplicated over to the replacement drive. Once duplicated the new drive will bootup exactly as the old one did.

One way you can approach this problem is to unplug the machine and remove the hard drive. You can research the drives size I.E how many gigs at the disk manufacturers web sight and purchase a new drive with the same capacity.

Go to http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/linu...e_upgrade.html and read up on this only to the point of knowing how to use the linux boot disk and some commands.

Using the linux bootup disk which is available from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/r...2002-01-23.zip you can duplicate the contents of the old drive onto the new one.

Don't use the commands I'm suggesting until I or someone else verifies them as correct as I'm not proficient in linux. I have however done this before. I would test the script first before connecting your JVC drive up.

The commands you might use are

DD IF=/DEV/HDA OF=/DEV/HDC (edited script)

With your original JVC drive installed as the Primary Master and the new drive as Secondary Master.

In essence all you're doing is using linux commands to duplicate drive data from one disk to another. You will not be using RTVPatch at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you mikeyboy. but i don't know if my JVC uses linux. as i said in my first post, it's not a replayTV nor a showstopper unit. just a hard disk recorder without any subscription needed. but i can't find any tech specs on this unit, anywhere. it seems i'm the only one to own one! :)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'm not a linux pro but the idea here is to use linux to exactly duplicate the format and data from the JVC drive. May not matter what operating or file system the JVC uses as all we're doing is duplicating the drive 100%. Your new drive must be the same size or larger. This method will not make use of any disk space beyond the original drives size. You would need to remove the drive and read the information on it to know what size, make etc it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Error in the DD command above. If the JVC drive is the primary master and the new drive is the secondary master using the DD command above will copy from the new drive to the JVC drive!!! the command should be: DD IF=/DEV/HDA OF=/DEV/HDC. The IF means Input File. HDA is the primary master. HDB would be primary slave. HDC would be secondary master and HDD would be secondary slave. I hope he hasn't tried it yet from the first command.

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.