AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I remember the preview of this shown at NBC's upfront presentation last May looked pretty good. I believe the intent at the time was to make the show a midseason replacement on NBC. Why did NBC wind up selling the show to Netflix instead?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I remember the preview of this shown at NBC's upfront presentation last May looked pretty good. I believe the intent at the time was to make the show a midseason replacement on NBC. Why did NBC wind up selling the show to Netflix instead?
It is a great, overjoyed lead performance, and I can't imagine this show working at all — even on Netflix which scooped up the 13-episode first season (all episodes will be released after midnight Pacific tonight) after NBC decided it was too weird to air — with anything less than the energy level Kemper brings.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt#lUjDz75ALuDLHd1v.99

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I thought the premise was interesting and thought the first couple of episodes were okay, but it was only after watching the third that I laughed. Some good one liners thrown around and the Native American father playing up the stereotypes was great.

Reminds me in tone and color of Suburgatory.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
The Spider-man episode was the best out of the past few I watched. The song at the end was hilarious as was the numerous cries of "my balls!" in a high pitch.

Spider-man's two greatest enemies: floors and gravity. :D

Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Overall I would give this season a C+/B-

As the show went on I think they pushed too hard into the absurdity and it became overly cartoonish. There were some good guest stars but Tim Blake Nelson I thought was annoyingly stupid in every way. I thought his character ruined every scene he was in.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I went into this thinking it would be all hype and I'd end up wondering what people saw in this show, kinda like OITNB, but halfway through the season and I'm finding quite a bit of laughs.

I will say the step daughter is beyond annoying though. First Kimmy puts her in her place after revealing she knows her story was a lie taken from a kid's book and then Titus and Lillian make her swear to be nice after helping to fix the house. Next thing you know the step daughter is back to being a ***** and threatening to figure Kimmy out. Way to keep her character consistent.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ Is Being Blamed For The Death Of A Doctor
By Josh Kurp | Monday, April 6, 2015 | uproxx.com

Martin Short’s plastic surgeon character on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Tina Fey’s new Netflix series, is hard to look at for too long. His face is swollen, his posture is reminiscent of Igor from Young Frankenstein, and his skin color is not so much tan as it is microwave-burned. Dr. Franff seems like a wholly original creation, but he actually looks a lot like famed celebrity dermatologist Dr. Fredric Brandt, who was found dead at his home on Sunday, and some are blaming Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Brandt’s publicist said in a statement, “He passed away this morning. He was suffering from an illness,” but sources reveal that the similarities between him and Dr. Franff “devastated” him.

Dr. Brandt told the New York Times last year that his goal was to “restore a face to harmony.”

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/04/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-is-being-blamed-for-the-death-of-a-doctor/

·
Registered
28,640 Posts
The interactive special was fun. I enjoyed it more than Bandersnatch, though it doesn't really have as many story threads. At most of the decision points, choosing the "wrong" option will loop back around and make you try the other option to keep the story on track. I went through it twice last night and felt like I'd tried almost everything. However, the credits list Bowen Yang playing Kim Jong Un and I never saw that.

I noticed that certain scenes randomly had different jokes or dialogue the second time even when there's no decision point.

The two most important decisions that will affect the ending are Kimmy's choice of wedding dress and whether Titus should eat the "forest banquet." Those are worth replaying to try differently.

The biggest laugh I had was at the "Wait, women can lie? I thought we were always supposed to believe women!" scene.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.