AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
She was on the NBC Today show this morning. Interesting she lived within eyesight of who this story is about, Louis Zamperini.

Not sure why a release date of Dec. 2014. Seems a long way off to me. IMDB says the status is post production so I presume the filming is done.

Definitely on my list of movies to see.

I'm already seeing comments about how this portrays the Japanese. I'm like you people need to get a life. That's the way it was...deal with it.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24409128

She was on the NBC Today show this morning. Interesting she lived within eyesight of who this story is about, Louis Zamperini.

Not sure why a release date of Dec. 2014. Seems a long way off to me. IMDB says the status is post production so I presume the filming is done.

Definitely on my list of movies to see.

I'm already seeing comments about how this portrays the Japanese. I'm like you people need to get a life. That's the way it was...deal with it.
Ms. Jolie has shown, in her other film, not to sugarcoat things.

·
Registered
28,689 Posts
Couple things I got from that trailer...

The Coen Brothers wrote the screenplay, but Jolie is directing. Why? Don't they usually direct the stuff they write?

Tom Brokaw narrated the trailer. He's getting a little marble-mouthed. Has he retired from anchoring the news? (I hardly ever watch network news so I'm not sure.)

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Looks like a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader  /t/1519858/unbroken#post_24409128

It's getting pretty tiring how everything is becoming fodder for somebody's soapbox.

Tom Brokaw has "geriatric linguistic aphasia". He retired from the desk in 2004. I love the way he sounds, very unique. Fun to imitate and he's got a pretty thick skin about it. Speaking of thick skin, it should be handed out to all these groups who cant wait to be offended by movies and then beat everyone over the head with it.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24411311

Couple things I got from that trailer...

The Coen Brothers wrote the screenplay, but Jolie is directing. Why? Don't they usually direct the stuff they write?
No, not always.

Take a look at their writing credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001054/?ref_=tt_ov_st

Quote:
(I hardly ever watch network news so I'm not sure.)
Bull, we all know commies like you watch MSNBC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24411405

It's getting pretty tiring how everything is becoming fodder for somebody's soapbox.
Agreed.

However, I don't think that will be the case with this movie.

She has her views (like everyone else), but doesn't scream them in public.

Quote:
Tom Brokaw has "geriatric linguistic aphasia".
You must be referring to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressive_aphasia

After reading the article, I wonder if I am catching it too.

Quote:
Speaking of thick skin, it should be handed out to all these groups who cant wait to be offended by movies and then beat everyone over the head with it.
I have a theory about that....the ozone depletion is leading to the thinning of humanity's skin.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1519858/unbroken#post_24411311

Tom Brokaw narrated the trailer. He's getting a little marble-mouthed.

Always had it. Those things tend to become more noticeable as one ages. It was recently reported that Tom was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer affecting blood cells in the bone marrow, in August at the Mayo Clinic.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1519858/unbroken#post_24411511

Agreed.

However, I don't think that will be the case with this movie.

She has her views (like everyone else), but doesn't scream them in public.

I was speaking about the "groups" who seem to to find a big problem with the portrayal of something or someone in so many movies lately.

As far as I'm concerned, the soapbox belongs to the movies maker. It's their art. If I don't like it, I wont watch it but I'm not going to get a bullhorn and go to a rally over it.

I may get a bullhorn just to drive by your house in the morning though... "WAKEY WAKEY EGGS AND BAKEY" . 125db @ 6am.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1519858/unbroken#post_24411537

Always had it. Those things tend to become more noticeable as one ages. It was recently reported that Tom was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer affecting blood cells in the bone marrow, in August at the Mayo Clinic.

That's not good at all.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24411687

I may get a bullhorn just to drive by your house in the morning though... "WAKEY WAKEY EGGS AND BAKEY" . 125db @ 6am.
And I would be the first one to defend your right to do so.

However, I must warn you Ms. Oink has a violent streak in her, as does the cat....there has been fatalities on my property in the past.

Fortunately, the evidence always disappears into the pen....

·
Registered
11,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1519858/unbroken#post_24411733

And I would be the first one to defend your right to do so.

However, I must warn you Ms. Oink has a violent streak in her, as does the cat....there has been fatalities on my property in the past.

Fortunately, the evidence always disappears into the pen....

I see... Soft knock and doughnuts @ 10 am? You tell her I'm a nice guy and was just kidding.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24411842

I see... Soft knock and doughnuts @ 10 am?
She is used to that....it's something I normally do.

Quote:
You tell her I'm a nice guy and was just kidding.
I did....she just glared at me.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24412899

Helluva story, helluva book. All they need to do is to stick to the facts. No soapbox required.
Agreed.

·
Registered
18 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how she does behind the camera. It's incredibly difficult to direct a feature so I'll be curious to see it. I am a bit bias though because my friend made it to the call-backs for the lead and didn't get it. I made his audition reel so I'm a bit disappointed already ;)

·
Registered
28,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy388  /t/1519858/unbroken#post_24531903

It'll be interesting to see how she does behind the camera. It's incredibly difficult to direct a feature so I'll be curious to see it.

Not her first rodeo. She directed "In the Land of Blood and Honey" in 2011 to well-respected reviews. She also directed a documentary called "A Place in Time" in 2007.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1519858/unbroken/0_60#post_24533183

Not her first rodeo. She directed "In the Land of Blood and Honey" in 2011 to well-respected reviews.
And they were well-deserved IMO.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Looks interesting. Along a similar line, but less heroic/bombastic and coming at the same situation from a different angle, see my review on The Railway Man as well. It's a very powerful film, in a very different way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.