AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just read more on it. It can't output HD to the graphics card, only SD. I dunno if that's something that could change or not. I guess w/ a powerful system you could capture and playback the recorded Quicktime files in HD with a small delay.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I hope you have a HUGE media array to capture uncompressed 10bit HDTV attached directly to that G5. I haven't seen their Decklink JPEG, but a built in hardware jpg encoder looks great to not need that huge media array and store compressed captured HDTV.

Hmm, maybe there will be an "analog hole"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few of these capture cards have been around for a while, but the cheapest I've seen is the Kona-HD and it costs $8000. For this to come out at $2000 is pretty signigicant.

M-JPEG codecs are great for offline editing (one of the things it's meant for), but for a true method to capture uncompressed HD material and output it to your graphics card, you wouldn't wanna do that at all. I assume this thing also utilizes a lossless codec. Extremely fast SCSI arrays will be necessary, but if someone could figure out a way where it records, plays back, and then deletes the media on the fly, then you wouldn't need a ton of storage if you were only interested in this thing to scale and correct your HD sattellite content for playback. Maybe even a 1 Gig RAM drive would work.

Keep in mind that 64-bit PCIX motherboards are available, and will be more commercial with the release of the AMD64 this month, so the G5 hopefully won't be a necessity. Using a Mac for an HTPC is pointless, and expensive. Even if this company never makes Windows drivers, you can definately bet that the Linux folks will support it.

A big problem is that it's SDI. Great if your an editor with a D5 deck (again, what it's meant for), but that's about it. I know there is a company that makes a DVI (non-HDCP) to SDI converter (and vice-versa), but that thing could be thousands too, and when those HDCP flags are turned on, forget it. There are probably HD analog to HD-SDI converters, but those are probably expensive too. Not to mention it's just another D/A or A/D conversion we all wish we didn't have to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.